Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

3rd time unlucky for these Red's today

devon deer

We can start our female deer hunt (control) on the 1st of November in England, i prefer to wait until the 1st of December, as most young will be independent of their mothers.
I saw this pair early November but the calf was still suckling, 2nd time i saw them they saw me first.
Today was different, i had seen them cross from one field (the same field where DaveN got his Roe Buck) to another field, something spooked them, and they took off at a pace, crossing 2 roads i guessed where they would be heading (no high fences/deer parks where i hunt, these are wild red deer), sure enough they appeared after a few minutes, settled down and started feeding off the farmers crops.
I took the hind first, 150 yards, she ran about 80 yards and dropped, the calf didn't know what to do and hung around long enough for me to take it as well, i'm glad i did as when i gralloched the hind she still had plenty of milk.
30-06 180 Grain Federal Vital Shok, slow and heavy is the way I go.
It was an easy extraction, managed to throw a rope over the hedge and drive my truck into an adjacent grass field, towed it out.
Both deer are now in the game dealers.

Hind closest, calf in the distance

Hind, exit hole, double lung.

Calf, exit hole, slightly quartering shot.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Well done, sir! At least I can put a general area to the kill sight. Just don't ask me to tell you how to get there!

devon deer.

Are you targeting the young and does as a population control? Or, is the meat just better?

Obviously, you are good at what you do.

Love that you are posting with others from across the pond.

Congratulations on a red double. I have been waiting to read about some of your success since come back from your Montana hunt. Is the season for Fallow deer and Red Stag still open or is the Red hind season the only season open now. Have you seen that Fallow deer you were trying for earlier in the season again? Thanks for posting. Your posts are getting me ready for next July's roebuck hunt.

Dave, the reds came out of the wood approx 50 yards from your buck, i had to do some more running yesterday!

The bulk of the deer go to the game dealer, different landowners want different things, some want a share of the venison, some the money from the game dealer, some don't want anything, the latter is usually where i shoot a female for my freezer.
Double edged sword, if i didn't keep the land owner happy i would get kicked into touch and they would get another guy in, i remember the days when we were offered cash by the farmers to shoot the deer, these days it's 'how much you going to give me to shoot my deer?' it was a sad day when the first hunter offered cash, but having said that its difficult to make a living as a farmer in England so i don't blame them.

Yep, targeting the females to try and control the population, but they just keep increasing over here, i do find it hard to shoot the 'follower' but i remember once i shot a hind with a youngster and chose to leave the youngster, 2 weeks later i went back to the same area, the calf was still there looking lost, so i did the deed.

The only deer i can't shoot at the moment is the Roe Buck.
I have been looking for the big fallow buck since i got back but no trace, he had a nice rutting stand but has long since moved on, or been shot by another hunter, no control over that, all free ranging wild deer.

The pheasant hunting season is in full swing over here, once it stops the deer settle down, there are a lot of commercial pheasant shoots over here.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Interesting concept. From what I've seen, it looks like you're doing quite well on the population control part!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back