Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Non-lead (lead-free) Ammunition Coordinator for California

NVDesertHunter

Hello All,

I wanted to introduce myself and answer any questions people might have about using non-lead hunting ammunition.

I work for a non-profit company performing outreach education on non-lead ammunition. My main job is to test various lead free hunting bullets and present that information to the hunting community. I had/have no influence in the CA legislation, I simply try to answer any and all questions hunters have about using non-lead ammunition. Whether you hunt with a rifle, shotgun, pistol or muzzleloader we have tested non-lead projectiles for all of the legal hunting firearms possible.

For anyone interested in more information you can visit our website: http://www.huntingwithnonlead.org/

Thanks and happy hunting,

Welcome non leader.
Are you going to give a name or has the backlash been that bad?
Best of luck, the road will likely be bumpy

I would be lying if I said there hasn't been any backlash when talking about non-lead ammo at various sportsman shows in the past. Most people I talk to are curious about the performance and where they can find non-lead ammo for purchase.

I noticed there were quite a few questions about copper bullets on the forum and I thought since I test non-lead ammunition for a living I could answer some of the questions being asked.

Best Regards,
Russell

We use non lead bullets a lot.
They do work very well in most calibers .
Biggest problem is length and price.

I quit duck hunting back when we were required to use non-toxic shot on wild life refuges. The cost is too prohibitive for me.

After finding multiple lead fragments in my processed deer summer sausage last year, I decided on my own to switch to non-lead. I've been shooting Barnes TTSX and have been very pleased with the results. Great penetration and very little bloodshot meat from fragmentation. It seems like the key is to shoot a bullet that is a bit lighter for your caliber to keep velocity up and ensure that the bullet expands.

Welcome to the forums!

My family eats wild game year round. There's no way I'm going to give my small children meat sprinkled with lead. Copper bullets do not disappoint in performance either :)

And thank-you very much for the link to the Power-Shok copper bullets. They are less than half of what I have been paying!

Most people I talk to are curious about the performance and where they can find non-lead ammo for purchase.

I noticed there were quite a few questions about copper bullets on the forum and I thought since I test non-lead ammunition for a living I could answer some of the questions being asked.

Best Regards,
Russell

I'd be very curious if you had done any expansion tests on mono alternative's for the 30-30 at 100-200yd ranges?

Hello elkmagnet,

I haven't tested for the .30-30 specifically but have tested slow moving muzzleloading and shotgun slugs. We have mainly tested Hornady's Monoflex (which also comes in .30-30),Barnes open tipped bullets and Federal's offerings. All of the bullets from the slow moving rifles expanded as advertised. We shot these bullets at 100 yards.

With the much larger hollowpoint, these bullets will expand reliably at the lower velocities. We will be testing non-lead bullets in a .45-70 very soon and try to extend the range past 100 yards.

Federal and Nosler just came out with non-lead options in .30-30. I would trust these companies would not put out a product if they had substandard results during testing.

Happy Hunting

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the link to the Federal copper load. I hadn't heard of that option yet.

I switched to copper 5 years ago and won't ever go back to lead. I have had excellent performance both at the range and on big game. When I first heard of the problems lead ammo was causing for condors I didn't believe it. Then I had my vet x-ray a deer heart I had in the freezer, and when I saw on the film that it was filled with well over 20 fragments of lead, I changed my mind. The premium lead bullet I had killed that deer with hadn't even hit the heart - it had struck a few inches forward of it.

I have always wanted to test a non-lead load in my rifle, but sadly no one makes 140 grain .264 caliber bullets that are lead free. I have been using swift-A frames and partitions as most of the studies suggest that these types of bullets don't fragment too much and spray lead everywhere.

Seems like availability of lead free ammo is as much an issue as anything else.

I personally saw, and heard of a lot more animals wounded in the early days of the Ca lead ban. .30 cal holes thru and thru. Multiple shots before going down. A lot of my friends started shooting animals in the front shoulder to aid expansion, which wasted meat. When I was set with the task of finding a bullet to take down a moose in a 7-08 many folks pointed me to the ttsx which was surprising to me. We settled on the 150 gr partition and it did the job, but on a less rare tag I may be willing to try non toxic in the future given folks say the technology has changed.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back