Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Dry aging and charcuterie

TheSurveyor

So I have been interested in charcuterie every since a meat eater podcast probably close to a year ago. They talked about Umai bags on there and they look really easy to do but the bag is pretty pricey in my opinion. I have found recipes online about doing this in a roasting pan with cheese cost in the refrigerator. Has anyone tried this? Or are there any charcuterie experts on here? Just don't want to waste a big hunk of meat...

Hank Shaw also had a podcast on salami earlier this year(episode 6). I thought it was a pretty good one.

I am interested, too! I made my first summer sausage this year.

Big hit!

Now on batch two, as 5 pounds disappeared in 3 weeks.

I've made a lot of jerky and summer sausage over the yrs but the dry aging really has my fancy. I read you can dry age a $20 hunk of meat and turn it into a $50 steak!
Like water into wine.
I may break down and do the Umai bag. Sounds like a failure safe way.

Like you I'm interested in charcuterie, just need to find time for more hobbies...;)

Michael Ruhlman's book also seems to be a holy grail of sorts in the cured meat world:

https://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298

Be interested to hear how it goes for you. Good luck!

I really want to get into this as it's so popular over the pond from me, but you could write my knowledge on the back of a stamp!
You all do such interesting things with the food you harvest.

Is the above book still a good buy?

I have no equipment, (apart from a really small hot smoker) so what would be the minimum I need?

Thanks

Richard

I have had a copy of Charcuterie for years. Straightforward info on curing. Great recipes that you can tweek with info provided. You do not need to build a whole smokehouse or curing room. Salt & sugar has worked for many years.
I'm going to pull out a couple pork loins today to thaw & start making some Canadian Bacon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back