Busy week at CPW....

marksjeep

The undercover operation to bust the illegal outfitter seems interesting. I might have to track down the court documents to see if there is a good officer report or probable cause affidavit. I like how CPW didn't just say illegal possession of a bull elk, but rather made sure to mention it was a 5x6.

We just recently had a poacher arrested in a county I usually work in for taking 5 or 6 whitetail bucks so far this year (we are a one buck state, with very few exceptions). Hopefully he gets more than a slap on the wrist as the county is just now recovering from the 2012 EHD outbreak.

They illegally killed 5 bull elk and were fined $13,000? At $2,600 a piece why wouldn't they poach. The economics of poaching add up. I'd guess that the average cost of a landowner tag for 61 is a lot more than $2,600. The DOW needs to fine these poachers market value for the animals! $13,000 a bull would be more fitting.

I am thrilled to see the excellent law enforcement work done by CPW! I agree with Summitthunting that the fines should be based, at least in part, on the real market value of the animal poached.

The fines are always so small, it's ridiculous. $13k probably didn't even cover the salary of the officers involved for the hours they put into these cases. The other 'punishment' they always include is loss of hunting privileges...that's like telling a bank robber he can't open an account at that bank.

Yes, I never understand why the fines and penalties are so low. They (poachers and illegal outfitters) will likely do it again. And the Game and Fish agencies can hardly be getting their money back after lengthy investigations and hours spent dealing with these scumbags.

The fines and penalties were most likely hammered out between prosecutors and defense attorneys. The judge hearing the case may have had some input as well. If guys want stiffer penalties give your local judge or prosecutor a call and discuss with them the seriousness of wildlife crime

Back