Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Thinking about getting into Bow hunting

JenH

Hi All

Currently, I strictly rifle hunt. With that being said, it is not out of lack of interest in bows - but I am a novice! My 10yr old is way better than me. We do have an archery range on base here that I can practice at.

Any tips or thoughts for a newbie???

-First bow????? I am 5'2 and my buddy at Cabelas says I should start with Bear and to stay away from PSE? Is this just his preference. He is an experienced bow hunter.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Shoot as many bows as you can before you decide...just because you work at Cabelas doesn't mean you should only consider the brands they carry. Make sure the bow fits you and feels right. The Bear Vs PSE is all brand preference.

Archery equipment loses value extremely quickly so look at last year's models too. The 2017 stuff just came out so guys will be clearancing bows or selling their year old, used bows very soon.

My wife doesn't bow hunt yet, but last year she got her first bow so that she could target practice with me and the kids. She has a Diamond Infinate Edge. I would highly recommend that bow. She loves hers. It has a lot of adjustment for the draw length and weight.

I agree most of the brand loyalty is just preference. I shoot Bear because it fits me best. Also agree with buying a used bow (go through a bow shop, not craigslist just because its your first one and you don't want one that was dry fired and has a cracked riser, etc.)

Get into a Bowhunter Ed class and ask lots of questions.

Join an archery club and tell them you are brand new and get some help.

Find a buddy who already shoots and have him walk you through stuff.

Understand that it will take you way more practice than with a rifle to become proficient.

Realize that you may go several seasons before you harvest your first animal.

Find your state bowhunter association and join.

Try to enjoy the sport more than master it.

Roger that! I have picked up a lot, but I think it is lack of experience that makes them feel off to me. I will definitely look around. My daughter has one, I think hers was a cheaper one (it was her first and again, she is 10). Thanks!!!!!

BTW -- (*I USED to work at Cabelas's gun counter)

I started out with a Mission Hype DT last April. I've been very happy with it. It felt good when I shot it and the shop I bought it from has been very supportive. They even re-fletched a couple of arrows for free when I started shooting tight enough groups to mess up the vanes. I'm no pro but from what I've read and seen and talked to folks about it is a lot of bow for the money. Just my $0.02.

I hate when a salesperson tells you to stay away from certain bows. nothing at all wrong with pse bows. pse brute was my first bow and it killed many of animals. like was said, the infinite edge is a perfect starter bow that your strength can grow with. bear attitude bow is an awesome starter bow too. pse, diamond, bear, hoyt, Mathews.... all great bows. you don't have to spend $1000 for a great bow either, just saying;) and don't think about getting into bow hunting, DO IT! you wont regret it. so much fun!

What brand bow is like asking what truck you should buy haha, they're all good now. My wife and I now shoot Hoyt but up until 2 years ago I was all about PSE. Then I went to Lancaster archery and shot a bunch of bows, I liked the Hoyt so that's what it was. Next bow I don't know, I'd say shoot as many as you can and see how you feel. Good luck you will really enjoy it

Goat

My suggestion is to go to a privately owned bow shop. You usually get better service and they are more attentive to your needs. Many of them will offer free lessons after you purchase a bow. Shoot as many bows as you can and find one that's comfortable for you. Also, don't start yourself out at too much draw weight. That is a mistake many new shooter make and it ends up messing up your form and wearing out your shoulder prematurely. Start at low weight and work on your form and then step up gradually. Like was mentioned before, find a local club or state organization and you can often get excellent pointers and maybe even a mentor to start you from scratch. I also suggest to join a 3D league after you are comfortable shooting. They are fun and you get practice shooting at animals instead of dots. Good luck and prepare for a life long addiction!!

Like all the others have said, go shoot what fits you best some guys prefer different bows than others, it's the whole Chevy, ford, dodge debate. Plus one on going to an archery shop versus a retailer

bow hunting is fun , you learn to hunt when using a bow, I think that there a a lot of good bows out there and as soon as you find one that feels good to you get it and start practicing , yes bow hunting requires practice , but have you been told it is fun

My wife is of similar stature, 5'2" and very petite, she shoots and Diamond Edge, great starter bow, she has a 23" draw and shoots 46#'s with 24" arrows and a cut on contact broadhead, here is a picture of my kids and her with, her deer from this past Sept. If you have any questions feel free to ask me, I have a wealth of knowledge, as I almost strictly have bowhunted my entire life, this goes for anyone that is on this forum and is new to bowhunting.
MattIMG_0357.jpg

The Diamond Infinity Edge is a hell of a starter bow. You could always shoot it for a couple of years then give it to one of your kids, as they are adjustable for draw length.

Be wary of anyone that spouts out absolutes in the archery world, they will rarely be true.

I think in all reality that if you are spending $300-$400 on a bare bow these days you are getting something good and more than adequate. I'll echo the suggestion of working with an independent pro shop. I went that route and it has been great to have the support and advice from them as I've learned. I bought arrows from South Shore Archery. I think they do a better job than buying arrows off the shelf.

My wife shoots PSE. I shoot Hoyt. Every bow has pluses and minuses. Go to the shop and start shooting to see what fits YOU. Have fun and good luck with your new bowhunting venture.

I'll throw in another pitch for the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. I got one as a starter bow for my wife. She shoots it well. A few weeks ago I stepped wrong, fell down a ridge and jacked up my shoulder. Since she is a fair weather shooter and my bow won't go below 60 lbs I adjusted her bow to my draw length and I'm sighted in to 40 yards at 45 pounds. I hope to be able to crank it up to 50 and find a slow thinking deer before my tag closes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back