Crooked bullet tips on Barnes TTSX

Laelkhunter

I happened to see a YouTube video on the Barnes TTSX bullets, and the man pointed out that on his Barnes TTSX 225 grain .338 bullets, about 2 or 3 of every ten bullets had the plastic point a little crooked. It was really noticeable when he rolled it down a piece of glass, you could see the tip wobble. He returned the crooked ones to Barnes, who replaced them with new bullets, but about one third of those had the crooked tips also. He didn't say if he noticed any problems when he shot them.
I checked mine (same exact bullet), and sure enough out of 50 bullets, 12 had the tips crooked. Do you think this matters in the accuracy? I am thinking to keep those wobblers for range practice, and the good ones for hunting.
I sent an e-mail to Barnes, but haven't gotten a response.

I was wondering also if anyone else has noticed if their Barnes TTSX have crooked tips.

Last edited:
If it worries you, then using them for target practice is exactly what I would do.

I've found TTSX to shoot very accurately. I'm probably not going to worry about it.

I shoot the Barnes TTSX in my 30-06 & 300wm, have noticed a few had slightly bent tips,never a problem with accuracy, at least not out to 300yds. Have not shot either rifle past that 300yd mark, due to range limitations.

Never used the tipped Barnes, just TSX non tipped.
Did not like one green tipped one I saw with the tips off center....in the box. Had some tips fall out too. Rem.s?
Always had to carve the lead tipped Remingtons so they would not look like they were wearing a beret canted...

Been using Nosler Trophy/AB with the gray tips the last 4 yrs and never had one not be right on.

Thanks for your replies. I have since spoken to Ty at Barnes Customer Service. He said Barnes was aware of the situation, and have taken measures to correct it. He also said they tested quite a few for accuracy (ones that were returned to them by customers), and found no difference in the accuracy of the ones with crooked tips, and the ones that were not crooked.
I gave him the lot numbers off of the two boxes I had, and he is sending me a box of replacement bullets.

Thanks for your replies. I have since spoken to Ty at Barnes Customer Service. He said Barnes was aware of the situation, and have taken measures to correct it. He also said they tested quite a few for accuracy (ones that were returned to them by customers), and found no difference in the accuracy of the ones with crooked tips, and the ones that were not crooked.
I gave him the lot numbers off of the two boxes I had, and he is sending me a box of replacement bullets.

Good to hear, Im all for backing companies with awesome customer service.

Nosler has helped me out with crumbly tips on accubonds in the past just like barnes did for you.

I had some 150 grain ttsx's in 284 diameter that did the same. Contacted Barnes and they said the crooked ones will shoot just as good or better. I didn't believe them so I sorted them and did some shooting. Crooked ones worked just as good or better. I'm still having a hard time believing they did so repeated the test 3 times, same results. I still don't like the crooked tips!!!

I also got a box of 338 cal 225 ttsx and the same issue with and it was all i had at the time so worked up a load pushing them 3250fps and got just about 3/8in groups at 100yds but i ended up getting ahold of barnes and they sent me a new box also i have only seen this issue in the 338 cal

Interesting that they still shoot well, I like plastic tips on my bullets haven't had any crooked Barnes yet but it doesn't say much for their effectiveness ballistcally if crooked and straight shoot the same.

Interesting that they still shoot well, I like plastic tips on my bullets haven't had any crooked Barnes yet but it doesn't say much for their effectiveness ballistcally if crooked and straight shoot the same.

I'm guessing the plastic tips are there to increase BC, and to initiate expansion neither of which would be negated by the tip being crooked. I suppose too that since the weight of the plastic tip is so light compared to the rest of the 225 grain bullet, it isn't enough to cause any accuracy problems. I will continue to use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back