Southeast Montana - We're baaaack!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, I cannot believe it has taken this many years for us to get back to a place I dearly love, a place some call Montana's version of the Serengeti, that area of Southeast Montana known as Region 7. We have hunted elk, mule deer, turkeys, and whitetails down there in the past, but I haven't been back since the big fire.

At least not until tomorrow, when I will meet up with a long-time friend and neighbor from back home in Big Falls, MN. He goes by "mn taxidermist" here on Hunt Talk. Back home, he is know as Dick, or "Ferg." Dick Ferguson and I have been running buddies since time began. He got my wife addicted to walleye fishing, he helped me drown my sorrows a time or two when things weren't going my way, he is one of the best beaver trappers you will ever meet, and as good of a guy as walks this planet. I am excited to take such a dear friend to a place I love and hopefully get him his first mule deer.

The weather looks to be nothing remarkable for deer hunting, but the mule deer rut will be peaking. There is a ton of land to hunt if you can use a map and are willing to hike a bit. It's been a few years since a bad winter or any die off.

We will be basing camp out of a motel this time. Having been hospitalized for a couple days last week, camping is out of the question right now. Thankfully, the good folks at the Broadus Motel has us on the cancellation list and I can get a good night's rest.

For those of you who have not hunted this part of Montana, you need to. Whether it is for deer, whities or mule deer, antelope, turkeys, if you luck out and score an elk tag, or the pheasants, ducks, and geese, you will have a blast. I know that some of you Montana guys are gonna send me nasty notes for filming another hunt there and for letting the world know what great hunting exists. Well, my inbox is full, so save yourself the hassle ;).

I hope we have coverage enough to give the hour-by-hour, day-by-day, account. Those are always fun for us to do. We will also be doing a podcast on this one. And, since Dick is a taxidermist, we are employing his skills in some YouTube videos, so if you have YouTube topics you would like to see about taxidermy, let us know and we will try to get them.

Thanks for following along. If you are in Broadus and see us at the cafe each night, say Hello.

My last hunt in Southeast Montana with a Hunt Talker from Colorado. Would love to repeat that success.
IMG_4830.jpg

If you want to watch the episode, click the link below:
[video=youtube_share;LggvkxqbJ78]https://youtu.be/LggvkxqbJ78?list=PLLdxutimd-JsfXPmK512HmN6OdCL45N58[/video]

Here is an elk episode we filmed down there. Doubt I'll draw that tag again in my life.
[video=youtube_share;0f5mSzlFkHk]https://youtu.be/0f5mSzlFkHk?list=PLLdxutimd-JsfXPmK512HmN6OdCL45N58[/video]

A mule deer hunt with Lawnboy. Man, do I wish I had discovered the onXmaps chip prior to this hunt.
[video=youtube_share;c-ZeGjGtxp8]https://youtu.be/c-ZeGjGtxp8?list=PLLdxutimd-JsfXPmK512HmN6OdCL45N58[/video]

Me showing the world that I am the worst turkey hunter on the planet. And to think this episode was a finalist for best turkey episode that year.
[video=youtube_share;ZQqAABuKZ6U]https://youtu.be/ZQqAABuKZ6U?list=PLLdxutimd-JsfXPmK512HmN6OdCL45N58[/video]

May I just say that I love live hunts, but I hate live hunts because work productivity suffers.

Double check your medicine bag, look before you sit down, and enjoy the bounty of nature and friends!!

Just got back from my first southeast hunt. The farther we walked the bigger they got.. Going back this weekend..

Just got back from Broadus a few days ago. Super fun hunt. Good luck Fin. Here is a pick of what the bucks were up too on the BLM land. DSC01425.jpg

Holy moly. A lot of life has obviously happened since that first hunt.

Been a few years since I slept at the Broadus Motel. Had a lot of fun the last time we were there. Wish I'd have had a few more days to learn our hunting area a bit better. That country grows on a person.

I have always enjoyed those videos and it looks like some awesome country. I might have to do a turkey hunt there some spring.

Best wishes on this next adventure! If Dick could show the best/easiest way for cape out an animal in the field that would be good to see. Benefits of just going up to the base of the skull and taking head out, vs. caping it out completely? Especially for folks that have never done it before. (ie. do you just cut the base of the ears off for the taxidermist to mess with or how much can an average guy do without screwing things up for the taxidermist)
Happy Trails!

My gang tagged out. It's been getting a little better every year since the die off, but it had a long way to go.

Such fun country that I have a hard time killing a buck there b/c it means it's time to go home.

Some buddies and I have been talking about hunting that area for a couple years now. Maybe next year. Good luck! Got a feeling some bucks are in trouble.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back