To Heavy for Day Hunt?

My only problem with a heavy daypack is getting off a quick, accurate shot in close quarters with the pack on. It seems to cause a lot of wobble if worn during the shot.

My wife is off the next 3 days, and those will be the last 3 days of the season. Taking out a few things really helped, I could feel the difference as the day went on. Next 3 days where I plan on going will linger at a high of just at, or a degree warmer then freezing. Gonna see if I can find that bull elk again. But in reality any deer or elk that comes in my range I will make a try at.

Thanks for all the help me advice.

I'd take all the water you can carry up. It's always steep uphill or downhill, and if you need water, and don't have any it sucks. I keep some water purification tablets, but I'd think one of the straw things would be better.
I carry a pair of goretex rain pants and a goretex shell. a down vest, beanie and a pair of ragg mittons for my weather gear. I usually hike in a Long sleeve t shirt, carry a dry one to change into when I stop to sit. I know I'll be sweaty. Over that i've got a camo outershirt, something from cabelas, I think. I don't carry extra socks on a day trip . In an attempt to keep my feet and legs dry, I frequently wear gaiters.
Havalon knife, old fixed blade Remington knife. Spare ammo, usually an en bloc clip from a garand, because that's how my dad carried them. package of 4 game bags, two trash bags, and a reflective tarp (the kind sold as a survival tarp) matches, lighter head lamp, hand held flashlight. 50 feet of para cord (think army navy store) . I do have a very small first aid kit with a couple of big bandaids, a couple of butterfly bandages, and some mole skin. For a GPS I carry my phone, same for camera,remember to put it on airplane mode and battery lasts at least all day. I do carry a range finder and binoculars. Besides that I carry assorted food crap, depends on what I can find in the cabinet, or what I stole from the kid's halloween basket. I haven't weighed my day pack but I know it's too damn heavy, but there's nothing in it I haven't used at some time.

What you say about the hiking in with one shirt and switching out to another is something I think I need to do. By the time I get to where I want to be my merino shirt is wet, and will stay wet all day. Sucks. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

If you can find water near the trail, I would just carry a liter or two and tablets. skip matches, take a bic. 1 extra pair socks. skip gps, get onxmaps, and just use your cell phone. skip the goal zero. your phone should last a day on airplane and battery save mode. I have a a life straw, it let me down one time, so I mostly use tabs now. For one day hunts I don't usually bring my trekking poles. I take binoculars. Also, in a Ziploc with TP I have a “first aid” kit that amounts to KT tape, naproxene sodium, paracord, and blood clot medium. bring some trail mix and jerky, and enjoy. oh and you should probably take your gun or weapon of choice. My pack weighs around 4 lbs itself (it’s a 60 L), but with water and not counting the rifle, binos, or rangefinder, weighs about 13 lbs. Elk or deer hunting I usually average 12 to 15 miles per day.

As far as what you bring, the only things I would cut are the GPS, all the spare batteries and a pair of socks. The rest seems reasonable and only maybe think about gear upgrades to cut weight. I use the same pack and with water alone you are at 12lbs. So that means you're carrying 10ish pounds of gear for a day hunt. Seems heavy, but not for late season.

Petzl e-lite is a great backup headlamp and weighs less than a AA battery. A phone with the onXmaps app will last more than a day on airplanemode. I do the same and use my phone as my camera. I also use paracord for "rope". My emergency kit and kill kit stay inside the main bag of the pack and the rest fits in the lid.

My typical daypack is similar to most on this list. I'm probably in the 30# range but I've never really weighed it. It does change some day to day depending on the plan for that particular day, weather, ect. I always start with a FULL 3L of water. That's one area I refuse to skimp is on the water. In terms of the rest of the gear I'm of the mindset that luck favors the prepared. There is no reason in my mind to be slightly less prepared in the name of saving a few pounds. I mean seriously, how many of us can look in the mirror and honestly say that we couldn't shave a few pounds off our bodies to make up for those last couple items that may make a huge difference in a day hunt. Something like that extra layer or a quilt that allows you to stay in your evening sit until absolute last shooting light may be what makes the difference in filling a tag or not. My last 2 bull elk were taken in the final minutes of daylight and as you all know that last hour can be COLD!!!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back