List of Politicians Who Support Public Lands

And that is just the problem with what we take as facts. Neither the Dems or the Repubs are the same party that we have had in the past. Everyone talks about the election being about no choices and our desire for Public Lands to remain Public, but the choices that have brought this to light were made at the State Levels and sent to DC. I for one voted out a Senator who wanted to be our Congressman because he would not support Public Lands. John

I know that Rep. Weinstrup (OH) is definitely pro transfer.
Rob Portman -not really sure he would support transfer
Sherrod Brown - pro public land

I'm a Wisconsinite and this is the response I received from Senator Ron Johnson. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Dear Mr. (deleted),

Thank you for contacting me regarding conservation efforts to protect wildlife and our natural resources.

As an avid outdoorsman, a father and a grandfather, I place a high value on preserving the environment for our children and grandchildren. Like all Wisconsinites, I want to protect our water, air and land for future generations. Conservation efforts should be approached sensibly. We can grow our economy and safeguard our environment at the same time. As the Senate considers federal land and natural resources policy, I will carefully consider reform that proportionately balances the economic costs with the environmental benefits.

Thank you again for contacting my office. It is very helpful to hear the views of the constituents I serve. To date, my office has received more than 2,000,000 letters, emails and phone calls. My mission is to provide information to as many people as possible concerning the enormous financial and cultural challenges facing America.

Please see my website at www.ronjohnson.senate.gov for additional information. It is an honor representing you and all the people of Wisconsin.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

Everyone on this board, please got motivated for the upcoming battle of politicians plans to transfer federal public (taxpayer owned) lands. We need to respond to every attempt. I personally thank you for your efforts.

Steve Hunts
Bozeman, MT

...please got motivated for the upcoming battle...
No disrespect meant, as we all make typos. But proofread, especially before sending a message to your congressional representatives. A typo or a poorly worded statement can negate an otherwise great message.

I'm a Wisconsinite and this is the response I received from Senator Ron Johnson. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Dear Mr. (deleted),

Thank you for contacting me regarding conservation efforts to protect wildlife and our natural resources.

As an avid outdoorsman, a father and a grandfather, I place a high value on preserving the environment for our children and grandchildren. Like all Wisconsinites, I want to protect our water, air and land for future generations. Conservation efforts should be approached sensibly. We can grow our economy and safeguard our environment at the same time. As the Senate considers federal land and natural resources policy, I will carefully consider reform that proportionately balances the economic costs with the environmental benefits.

Thank you again for contacting my office. It is very helpful to hear the views of the constituents I serve. To date, my office has received more than 2,000,000 letters, emails and phone calls. My mission is to provide information to as many people as possible concerning the enormous financial and cultural challenges facing America.

Please see my website at www.ronjohnson.senate.gov for additional information. It is an honor representing you and all the people of Wisconsin.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

Same exact crap he sent me.....if you can't figure it out it means money comes before public access. I don't know why you guys are making this so hard? Its on the REPUBLICAN PLATFORM, if they are republican there is a greater then 90% chance they support the transfer of public land over to the states. Even Randy acknowledged it on a podcast a few months ago. This isn't a political post by me its a statement of fact based on roll call votes to do the exact thing we are trying to prevent. It's not that hard.....below is what Tammy Baldwin, a DEMOCRAT from the same state sent me. Very clear that she supports our cause while Ron Johnson is all about the money.

Dear Mr. Wagner:
Thank you for contacting me about the importance of protecting and preserving public ownership of America’s public lands. I appreciate you taking the time to write to me about this important issue.

Wisconsin families have long traditions of hunting and fishing. Outdoor recreation is a significant contributor to the economy, supporting over 142,000 jobs and contributes nearly $11.9 billion in consumer spending in Wisconsin each year. During my time in Congress, I have been proud to support efforts to improve access to our public lands, to protect our natural resources for future generations, and to support the work of non-profits, tribes, and sporting associations to preserve habitat for wildlife.

The federal government owns about 650 million acres (29 percent) of the 2.27 billion acres of land in the United States. Four agencies administer the vast majority of the federal land: the Forest Service in the Department of Agriculture, and the Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, and National Park Service, all in the Department of the Interior. Most of these lands are in the West, including Alaska.

I share your commitment to ensuring that our most cherished natural and cultural sites are preserved and protected, and will continue to oppose policies that transfer federally managed public lands to the states, and limit the President’s authority to designate federal lands as national monuments. We must ensure that all Americans are able to use and enjoy these public lands and that national treasures can be preserved for the benefit of future generations.

Once again, thank you for contacting my office. It is important for me to hear from the people of Wisconsin on the issues, thoughts and concerns that matter most to you. If I can be of further assistance, please visit my website at www.baldwin.senate.gov for information on how to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Tammy Baldwin
United States Senator

I agree. If they do not clearly state that they are for the public lands then they are just giving you the political side step. Dance around the issue, commit to nothing, and hopefully placate the person raising the issue. If unsure where a politicians loyalties are just check where the donations came from.

I thought I would bring this thread back to the top. Many of you have contacted your senators and congressmen lately. If you have an idea as to where they stand on public land transfer, post it here.

Both my Senators are against TSL & pro public lands. My Rep. is in big oils pocket. NM
Senators Heinrich D & Udall D Rep is Pearce R

Since the time has come to raise hell over the phone with your congresspeople or senators I thought I would bring Southern Elk's thread back to the top. Randy referenced in another thread that he is not aware of any list that shows which politicians are for or against the transfer of public lands or sale of them. If you have anyone to add from your state please do

Here is the letter I sent today to my Congressman and both Senators in Tennessee (all Republicans):

"Hello,

I wanted to share my concern with you regarding HR 621 and the transfer of Federally owned lands to the states. As an avid Hunter and outdoor enthusiast, I spend usually spend 3-4 weeks every year in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado, using our federally owned BLM and National Forrest land for hunting, fishing, hiking and camping. My ability to do this would be taken away if these lands are transferred to the states, to dispose of as they see fit. Most of the western states have a track record of selling state trust land and reducing access to the public. It is a very serious attack on my ability to enjoy land that I, as US Citizen own. I would urge you to do everything you can to oppose this bill, and any other that would facilitate the transfer of Federal lands to the states or entities that could reduce public access. I would also encourage you to support legislation to allow the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management to better manage our Public Land to ensure that I and my children can continue to enjoy our incredible recreation opportunities that are currently available. I know you are a supporter of my Second Amendment rights, and I thank you for that. Please understand that I consider the transfer of Public Lands to be just as serious as my right to own firearms. It is a "Cold Dead Hands" issue. What good are my guns, if the opportunity to hunt the way I want is taken away? I am a strong conservative and have always voted as such, and I am very concerned that so many in the Republican Party are on the wrong side of this issue. If you would like to research further on this issue, a few of the organizations you should look at are the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Association, and the Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership. These are groups I support financially and they are actively working towards goals I am in favor of.

Thank you so much for looking into this issue."

I plan on calling their offices once I get a response to my letter. I'll be sure and post their stances here when I get them.

Rep Welch, of VT, is a public land supporter:

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for contacting me about conserving public lands. I appreciate your feedback on these important issues.

I am a strong supporter of wilderness protection programs and the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), which ensures the protection and maintenance of critical lands in our national forests, recreation areas, parks, wildlife refuges, and historic sites. I signed a letter in support of funding for the LWCF and I am a cosponsor of H.R. 502 which would permanently reauthorize the LWCF.

I oppose restrictions on the executive branch’s ability to conserve lands. The American Antiquities Act of 1906 authorizes the President to declare landmarks, structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest to be National Monuments.

I also strongly oppose a rule passed by House Republicans that will make it easier for Congress to transfer federal land to state and local authorities. I will continue working to maintain our public lands and to ensure access for all Americans.

Please keep in touch. I look forward to seeing you in Vermont.

Sincerely,

PETER WELCH

Member of Congress

As is Senator Leahy of VT

Dear Mr. Breton:

Thank you for contacting me again to share your concerns about the sale or transfer of public lands. I appreciate your continued interest in this important conservation issue.

As a lifelong Vermonter, I understand the value of ensuring that everyone can access and enjoy our nation’s beautiful natural spaces. Unfortunately, there is an increasing effort by several western states to try to take control of certain federal lands and allow for the exploitation of the resources by private industry. Please know that I will continue to oppose legislation that attempts to sell or transfer the ownership and management of our treasured public lands. Additionally, as the Vice-Chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, I will continue to pursue avenues to protect and fully fund the federal programs that preserve Vermont’s and the country’s treasured natural landscapes, such as the Land and Water Conservation Fund.

Thank you again for continuing to share your concerns with me. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

PATRICK LEAHY
United States Senator

What really matters is how many Republican Senators are willing to buck the trend and vote against PLT. That will be the final determination. If you can get BIPARTISAN votes to stop a PLT bill then you have really got something. So are their ANY current GOP Senators who are against PLT???

However, while I consider the House a lost cause, I'm still going to let my voice be heard because you never know. Perhaps enough complaints by myself and others will lead to change.

I would start by making a list of reps who are either bucking the trend of their party or really any elected Democrats from Western states because I feel that these represent strong voices. Unfortunately there isn't any value in asking a Democrat from Chicago or a Republican from Indiana about their position because they are going to tow the party line in most cases and the issue has little value to the constituents.

Everyone should contact their reps, then call the Chaffetz office and then call those on our side who are bucking the party trends to let them know we support them.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back