Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

My son's first elk

Hamr06

Here are a few pics and a short story of my son's first elk. We decided early last winter to use his preference points in Wyoming and draw a limited entry tag. The plan was to head out for opening day and hunt for a week. This did not happen. He plays defensive back for a small school in northeastern WI and his team ended up having a great year and made the playoffs. His first playoff game was a full week past our original departure date. They ended up losing there playoff game which meant we where on our way. I think this delay actually helped us because we missed a decent snowstorm as well as very high winds.

After driving through the night we arrived on Saturday afternoon which was October 22. We threw up our alaknak tent and got our camp all situated. Then we headed to a glassing point we found while scouting over the Fourth of July weekend. We ended up spotting a couple bulls that evening but they where to far away to make a play. What a great first evening. That same glassing point ended up being our home the next three and a half days. We spotted literally hundreds of elk and lots of decent Bulls. So after some failed stalks we decided to make a blind in an area we consistently where seeing Bulls. That was the ticket. On Tuesday afternoon about 30 elk fed out in front of our blind with my son's bull being one of them. We knew they where on there way because his bull was bugling about every ten minutes. That was something we where not expecting on the 25th of October. He ended up making a great shot and the bull only made it about 50 yards. What a awesome experience to share with my son. I also want to say my brother came along to help spot and pack and my parents took care of camp and cooked. What a great family experience. I have hunted Wyoming at least a dozen times taking elk, mule deer, and antelope. It always amazes me the quality of hunt to be had in wyoming. In my opinion they do a great job managing there resources.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 788
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 780
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 776
congrats to you and your son, Hopefully you let him utilize all that football training for the pack out.

Family adventure = success. Tag notched = icing on top. Congratulations to all.

Great job, both you and your son. My grandson plays for a school in VA and I haven't been able to get him afield since he was 8. They played their last game yesterday and with his senior year ahead of him maybe when that is all behind him we can make a trip in two seasons from this.

Just reminiscing about this hunt as I debate burning my Wyoming points on a general tag or save them to try and draw the unit my son drew in the future. I do LOVE the general tag! Especially in the archery season. I know it's late but thanks to everyone on there nice comments.

Congrats on a great hunt! Where in NE Wi are ya from?

Thanks. Im from a very small town called Townsend. It's about a hour and a half north of Green Bay. It's a pretty sweet area. Surrounded by the Nicolet national forest as well as tons of lakes. I see you're from the Hudson area. Very pretty over there as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back