Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Backpack Elk 2016

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Great job. You always put in the effort to get it done.

I've been using a SG this fall and am pretty happy with it. It will definitely pack more weight than you want to. Wish I had better options for carrying my spotting scope, but I'm going to work on that in the offseason.

Great job. You always put in the effort to get it done.

I've been using a SG this fall and am pretty happy with it. It will definitely pack more weight than you want to. Wish I had better options for carrying my spotting scope, but I'm going to work on that in the offseason.

Curious what your game plan is with the spotter. I don't really think I want to add a spotter pocket personally, just because I typically prefer a pretty streamlined exterior, but I'm trying to figure something out. Open to suggestions or out of the box ideas from anyone.

Curious what your game plan is with the spotter. I don't really think I want to add a spotter pocket personally, just because I typically prefer a pretty streamlined exterior, but I'm trying to figure something out. Open to suggestions or out of the box ideas from anyone.

Haven't figured it out yet. I'm using a Sky Archer 6200. I have the spotting scope pocket, which I really don't like. It's hard to secure it tightly enough for my liking, and it barely holds my 85mm spotter. I only use it when I'm backpacking, because when the pack is not full it makes more sense to have the scope inside the pack. It's not very easy to remove, so I use it for lighter things I want easy access to when using it as a daypack (TP, rain gear, etc.). See pic below. Scope and tripod are inside the pack.

They have a new daypack called the Avail 2200. It has a compression panel on the back which might work well for leaving a tripod attached to the scope for quick deployment. I thought about trying to rig something like that up on my 6200. That's what I really want...easy deployment of the scope/tripod for a quick look. I kind of like the design of the Approach 1800, but am concerned that the scope pocket would be tight. Sorry for the post hijack.

Pack_zps4vubvejz.jpg

Super well done considering the bad hand you were dealt. Congrats!! What I wouldn't give to have access to hunts like that without a 15+hr drive...

PS- Another 6.5mm season?

Oak, thanks for the thoughts. Most times I've been happy to wedge my spotter just below the storm collar inside and have it moderately accessible that way via the front zip. But as you note, it'd be nice to have a more streamlined option for the exterior. I use a 62mm Leica for everything, so it's a little easier for me to stash it inside than for a big spotter. The time I'd use something outside most is when loaded full for a pack-in somewhere, with glassing points I'd like to stop at on my way.

Pointer, I killed deer and antelope bucks with my 260ai. The cow, bull, and another antelope were with a Tikka .308. I've moved to the T3 platform for both of my hunting rifles. Much tinkering to do over the winter, which is good with me!

SM- Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that pair will cut a very wide swath with you using them. Do you plan on getting them setup very similarly? And what is the planned setup?

Current plan is:
-Lite in a .308, Manners EHT, swfa 3-9. This one is set up already, shot it today in fact. Little over 8 lbs, which is how I like it. It was shooting 155's well at 2.865 which would require a longer mag. I'll either use LA tikka mags or go the CDI route.
-CTR in 6.5C, Manners EHT, swfa 3-9. It would be just under 9 lbs. A shade hefty, but not so much I wouldn't backpack with it. My .260ai was the same weight.
I was originally planning a matched set of .308's, but decided something different for the second would be too much fun. Never had a creedmoor and I've got quite a few 139 scenars left in the cupboard. I got a good deal on the pair of stocks which were used, and Whittakers is dang cheap for anything Tikka. Selling my 700's and replacing with Tikka's I'll still be in the black even with some additions.

Way to go!! I'm still going through rehab after being wounded in Iraq 12 years ago and I do my best to get out there and do what I can. I can't go as far as I used to or carry as much as I used to, but I give it hell because I'm a stubborn bastard. Excellent season for you!!

Current plan is:
-Lite in a .308, Manners EHT, swfa 3-9. This one is set up already, shot it today in fact. Little over 8 lbs, which is how I like it. It was shooting 155's well at 2.865 which would require a longer mag. I'll either use LA tikka mags or go the CDI route.
-CTR in 6.5C, Manners EHT, swfa 3-9. It would be just under 9 lbs. A shade hefty, but not so much I wouldn't backpack with it. My .260ai was the same weight.
I was originally planning a matched set of .308's, but decided something different for the second would be too much fun. Never had a creedmoor and I've got quite a few 139 scenars left in the cupboard. I got a good deal on the pair of stocks which were used, and Whittakers is dang cheap for anything Tikka. Selling my 700's and replacing with Tikka's I'll still be in the black even with some additions.
Very nice! I'm thinking that the CTR is about perfect for a "plains" type rifle and @ 9# is still lighter than what I pack now. That sounds like a very good pair and I could like that very much. Though I have custom wants, my finances dictate that a Tikka/SWFA combo is a more likely situation for me. Just have to outfit the boys first...

Fun account of your hunting adventures. Thank you for sharing with us. Great job and congratulatons!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back