Western hunt

John Kelley

We are trying to plan a western hunt. I am pushing 70 so don't know how many hunts I have left and would like to get my grandsons on achery hunting out west. I don't expect anyone to give up their secret spots but could someone give us a point in the right direction to a decent area? Thanks John

Do you have some more specifics about what you are looking for? Species? Altitude you would feel comfortable with? Backcountry or not? Budget? I would assume you would want OTC licenses, which would also affect where you would go.

OTC would be OK but wouldn't mind putting in for a tag if we had to. I'm in pretty good shape walk 8 miles every other day but know the altitude can get to any one. We would like mule deer hunts. Our budget isn't the best maybe around a $1000 apiece including a license. So DIY is what we were thinking. Thanks for any help John.

Well sounds like Idaho would be the ticket, OTC license's and lots of public land. And if you wanted you could apply for a good LE tag too because there are no preference/bonus points here in Idaho, so everyone has the same chance to draw.... you would be slightly less due to the fact that your a nonresident, only 10% of the tags go to non residents, but you still have a chance unlike many other states. Nevada would be another good choice, even if you don't have points you still have a chance there to draw also. Welcome, and good luck,
Matt

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back