New Backpack Idea

NW307

Hey everybody, not sure if this is pertinent to this topic, but I had a hunting pack idea I've been working on for several years and was looking for some input or ideas on it. It's a standard line-gear style lumbar pack for hunting. Unlike a standard day pack, there is nothing to catch on trees when sneaking the woods. Just like in Fire fighting, a line gear style pack allows freedom of movement (drawing back a bow) and the ability to carry a decent amount of gear for the day.
image1-6.JPG

But, hidden in the bottom of the pack is a stripped down version of an external framed backpack that I can assembled in under a minute. External frame packs may be considered outdated, but I have not found anything that controls and carries a large awkward load better(such as elk quarters).
image3.JPG

I have carried around 100lbs of boned out meat with this pack and the other convertable pack I used to use can't hold a candle to the comfort and control of load this pack offers, or any external frame pack in general for that matter. For carrying in a spike camp, I put all my gear in a sealed nylon roll top dry bag and strap it in place where a game bag would sit. Plus the dry bag is great for hanging food in a tree at camp. This is a bare bones, highly effective hunting pack/meat hauler that weighs about 3 lbs. I haven't seen anything like it before and I was just wondering if anyone had any comments or improvement for it. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5661.JPG
    IMG_5661.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 921
I really like the concept......a lot. Does it require a tool to assemble? Thumb screws or wing nuts may be a good upgrade if so. Also what does the frame look like disassembled? I agree with a frame being better for awkward loads. I may be old fashioned but I still prefer them

It seems pretty solid for how simple it is, i've never had issues with it twisting on me with up to an elk's quarter worth of weight. The "meat shelf" keeps the frame rails spread apart and stable. The frame is pieces that I put in a tent pole bag so they don't clank together in the pack. It mostly pressure fits together and the back pack straps holds it tight. The bottom "U" of the frame is attached to pack internally and forms the base for all the other parts and transfers the weight to the waist strap. I can assemble it in less than a minute. thanks

Looks like it needs some more support where the shoulders meet the frame. Such as a solid piece with a pad across the frame. Also, maybe two or three more straps to secure the meat. Other than that it looks good for a prototype.

it is an interesting prototype that needs more testing, i agree with SantaRita805 in that more support/ padding may be necessary where shoulders meet the frame. Adding straps may or may not be necessary. How much weight have been able to carry comfortably? As an east coast deer hunter,who uses a fanny pack constantly, I would be interested and know others that would be as well. Definitely worth pursuing! Good luck!

it is an interesting prototype that needs more testing, i agree with SantaRita805 in that more support/ padding may be necessary where shoulders meet the frame. Adding straps may or may not be necessary. How much weight have been able to carry comfortably? As an east coast deer hunter,who uses a fanny pack constantly, I would be interested and know others that would be as well. Definitely worth pursuing! Good luck!

The padding is somewhat rudimentary I agree, but the theme of the pack is ultra light so there is a little inherent discomfort. I feel like a lot of packs make up for poor load support by adding tons of padding thus making a really heavy, bulky pack. I've carried a boned out elk hind quarter with it and had no problems or saddle sores. If i had the capability I would change/streamline a few things but I built it in my garage so it is somewhat basic haha. I did approach a pack manufacturer with the idea but they didn't seem too interested, and the local saddle shop wants a fortune to sew packs for me, so I guess I'll keep working on it and trying to make something out of it. thanks!

I love the innovation. You might check with a patent attorney before you post too much info. This seems like something a pack manufacturer could run away with.

I have an Alps Pathfinder pack, which looks pretty similar to yours. When hunting close to a trailhead, I'd leave my freighter frame and hike in with the lumbar pack. I'd carry the first load of flesh back and then switch to the freighter for heavier duty hauling. Depending on how well this frame would work, it might make sense to just have one pack.

I wonder if the frame could be made from molded plastic like ABS and shave more weight down?

thanks, Yeah someone really could rip it off pretty easily but I've explored every option and they all end with the need for big $$ which I don't have an excess of especially with a brand new kid. But that's ok maybe it'll spark a new movement towards truly light and effective convertible packs for those out there pounding out the miles. I thought about ABS or even Carbon Fiber, but I couldn't find any sort of joints that seemed strong enough to handle a big load. Aluminum is pretty tough and easy to manipulate and the weight is still really low (around 3lbs on the best crappy scale i can find). Ideally I'd like to improve the shoulder strap to frame connection with grommets and pins and I'd like to string shock cord through the whole frame like a tent pole so parts can't be lost.

Back