Barnes TTSX BT 168gr

Thanks Glock,

I took them out yesterday to the range after swapping barrels on my TC Dimension, from 22-250 to 308 Win. I made the mistake of not bore sighting before firing. The 22-250 is 1/2 MOA and outstanding. However, at 100 yds, I couldn't even get it on paper and for the life of me could not figure out where I was printing, so making the proper adjustments was a shot in the dark. Anyway, before I go out again, I'll bore site it and then fine tune at the range.

I've never had any problems with the Barnes TTSX through my 22" barrel with a 1:12" twist. I'm hoping these bullets can be straightened out as I'm looking forward to using them on hunts.

Well, disregard that last post. I found the problem. It's not the bullet. I had a broken scope mount.fullsizeoutput_104d.jpg

Last edited:
i run the TTSX in 168 gr in my -06 and it is a fantastic bullet. the last animal i got was a black bear and the bullet traveled through his chest cavity and left almost a 3 inch tear on the opposite side. dropped him in his tracks. i also loaded the same bullet in my 300WM and although haven't used it on any animal yet, the accuracy is superb. personally i think you would do just as well with a 150 gr or i believe they make a 130 gr TTSX for your 308.

I've ran a few different loads with the Barnes bullets, regular tsx. My experience has be good with:

180 gn tsx out of the 300 wsm using RL 19 (deadly on elk)
165 gn out of the 300 wsm using RL 17
168 gn out of the 30-06 using RL 17

The barnes bullets do not cause tons of damage, which is great. If you're after something that's going to destroy lots of flesh the barnes is not it.

A Bit Confused

With Barnes bullets you want to run, lighter than normal, and hotter (if you can) than you normally do. Of course staying within pressure signs.

I'd drop down to a 140 grain bullet in the .308 and load him hot. Remember you have almost total bullet retention with the Barnes.

Faster and Lighter seem a bit opposite of each other. Can you explain?

I am going to load some 168s up in my LAW 28 Nosler rifle using Reloader 33. I have yet to find a recipe but I know the 7mm STW has the same case capacity. Anybody have any suggestions on load data?

A lighter bullet will go faster?

Got it. If I understand what Shoots-Straight was saying. I think he's referring to a lighter bullet that's loaded hotter, i.e. on the upper end of the powder charge scale. That I agree with. Lighter bullet, more powder, faster and flatter trajectory. Now, one simply has to be concerned with bullet construction. Which I think Barnes bullets are right up there in terms of weight retention.

Well, I have great news regarding this bullet. I tried it in my 308Win with far less than adequate results at the range. So much so I was not willing to give it a try on any game animal. Then, I read the entire label. This round calls for a 1:11 twist or faster. My .308 is 1:12. There's likely the cause. So, I loaded them up for my 300WinMag with a 1:10 twist and VOILA! Recipe: TC Dimension, 300WinMag, 168g Barnes TTSX, 78g Ramshot Magnum, WLRM Primers, COAL 3.332. Absolute perfection. Zeroed for 250 yards I was printing 1/3" groups consistently. A little fine tuning and it will be ready for Elk.
300WinMag 250 yards.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back