Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Calgary, Albert

fargoflyfish

My wife and I are considering relocating to Calgary. I have been there in the past and remember seeing elk everywhere near Banff. Does anybody know if Alberta has ample hunting opportunities for deer, elk, moose, etc.? Any other opinions about living in this area?

Thank you.

Alberta has a lot of hunting opportunities but that being said. There's also a lot of hunters out there too. I would stay within the foothills southwest of Hwy 1. You really though need to grab a map because there is a lot of private and reservation land around Calgary. Besides the hunting though, Calgary is a awesome city

Ive been trying for 5 years so far to get a bighorn tag in that area

welcome, I live in Calgary and can tell ya anything ya need to make a decision. Lots of elk around Banff, but that's within a national park, so no go to hunt them. Most of the elk killed over the counter are on private land with permission granted, BLM or Crown areas as they are called here are numerous, but the hunting is much tougher with less animals to be had. Moose is on a draw for the most part with 5-15 yr waits depending on the WMU zone preferred. Mule deer are also on draw and can be anywhere between 2-6 yrs to draw them. Let me know what other questions you may have.

I got some weird looks from the park officials when I lived in Lake Louise. I had a knock on my door everytime I would bring anything home

welcome, I live in Calgary and can tell ya anything ya need to make a decision. Lots of elk around Banff, but that's within a national park, so no go to hunt them. Most of the elk killed over the counter are on private land with permission granted, BLM or Crown areas as they are called here are numerous, but the hunting is much tougher with less animals to be had. Moose is on a draw for the most part with 5-15 yr waits depending on the WMU zone preferred. Mule deer are also on draw and can be anywhere between 2-6 yrs to draw them. Let me know what other questions you may have.

Is this just for the area around Calgary or is it this way in Alberta? How difficult is it to get a bowhunting license for elk and/or deer?

Bow is easier for getting tags in some cases but others no. The closer you are to the big city centers the harder it is to get permission on private lands.

Hey there, congrats for picking a great city to live!
I'm a Calgarian and there are lots of hunting opportunities in Alberta.
Lots of otc tags for elk, whitetail, and big horn sheep, less so mulies. But you're a bowbunter, it's wide open in September.
I hunt public accessible land mostly. If you don't mind a hike, Randy Newberg style hunting, there lots of opportunities within a 2 hour drive of the city.
Welcome bro, just don't hunt any of my spots ok!

I'm actually in Calgary right now on a lay over. I will say out of all the major airports in Canada, I Love the Calgary one

My wife and I are considering relocating to Calgary. I have been there in the past and remember seeing elk everywhere near Banff. Does anybody know if Alberta has ample hunting opportunities for deer, elk, moose, etc.? Any other opinions about living in this area?

Thank you.

Hey Fargo, if you want to know more about hunting in Alberta, check out www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com Alberta focused back country hunting podcast.

Cheers
Pekan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back