Pellets or granular ?

I started with Pyrodex years ago,then switched to Triple777 and really liked it,then went with Triple 777 pellets got pretty good accuracy but now shoot Blackhorn 209,best stuff have found so far. Good constent velocity ,great accuracy and cleans up easy.But a little expensive if you shoot much.

I shoot pellets out of my Traditions Pursuit LT. Never had an issue. I've taken deer, elk and pronghorn with it.

Straight 2F black powder. But I shoot a flintlock so pellets aren't really a good option.

777 Pellets here but I just hunt hunt with it. Shoot it enough to make sure I'm confident but that's about it. I have the first gen Accura. If I could get a correct breach plug I'd shoot black horn.

Pellets unless required to use loose. They shoot great out of my Omega.

I have tried Pyrodex, Triple7, White Hots, etc. all in pellets at one time or another. For years, I don't think I was entirely happy with any powder/pellet in terms of consistency and accuracy. I believe that the crud ring left by them was the main reason for this. Swabbing after every shot seemed to help, but it also became tedious; and I wondered what would happen if ever had to reload quickly for a follow-up shot. A few years ago, I went out and bought a jug of Blackhorn 209 and a box of Magnum 209 primers. After sighting-in with that combination, I went home and disposed of every other blackpowder substitute that I had. No more swabbing, consistent seating, very accurate, less smoke and easier clean-up; couple that with good velocity and I was finally happy.
I had come to prefer loose powder since then, mainly for the ability to tweak a charge for optimal accuracy with the sabot that I use.

BH209 only comes in loose powder, therefore there is no other worthwhile option.

I have used Pyrodex and Triple 7 pellets and like the Triple 7 better. I have purchased a container of BH209, but havent started using it, because I am always worried about a follow up shot with loose powder. I need to just sack up and get everything premeasured. I do feel that I have had pretty good accuracy with the pellets out of my TC Omega, but I would like to have a cleaner burn. Cleaning after every 2nd or 3rd shot gets old. That being said I only shoot enough to make sure I am confident while hunting.

Pellets sound great, but I use Pyrodex RS powder to comply with Colorado muzzleloader season rules. It works well enough that for regular rifle season I'd just use powder and just use my peep sight setup.

I used the pellets when they first came out. They were convenient to use and were reasonably accurate. Several years ago I tried the Blackhorn 209 and made the switch. Very accurate for me and an easy clean up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back