Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Removing Doug Sayer from Wild Sheep Foundation for Idaho political strong-arming

They were afraid that Jose was on the phone call last night. I was grilled for several minutes if I was alone or did I invite anyone to the phone call. They were concerned that non-IDWSF members might be in attendance. I asked what were they hiding?

This whole issue comes down to money. IDWSF president’s first remarks during the initial board meeting discussing Sayer were, “How much money is this going to cost us? Is this really an issue?” No discussion about ethics or integrity. The VP wanted IDWSF to take a neutral view on Sayer. Before every discussion, they would say, “We talked with Sayer and WSF and they want us to…” Furthermore, the president let Sayer’s BIL and employee argue what direction IDWSF should take. Conflict of interest? The president didn’t think it was. If it weren’t for a few board members and past presidents of IDWSF pushing for Idaho, IDWSF would have never taken a stand. Well, they actually never did take a stand.

The VP is a yes man for Sayer and WSF. In my conversations with him after the first expulsion vote, I realized he never read any of the IWF emails. He was giving me Sayer’s auction sales pitch and talking about Sayer’s new Lottery tag bill (coming to you in 2018). It’s a dereliction of duty to represent an organization on an issue and not take the time to understand the issue independently of those involved in it.

I found out between meetings that one of the first year board members was on IDFG’s top 10 poacher watch list. Repeat offender. He has been arrested for trespassing, poaching and illegal guiding. When I asked the president if he knew about this (I hadn’t), he said yes, but he was only convicted of trespassing. It wasn’t a concern of the board.

My second expulsion vote was nothing more than retaliation for Sayer losing his chair. They were protecting a large donor. There was a 30 day campaign against me to ensure the VP had the votes. It was pretty clear that I don’t have first amendment rights if I’m the Treasurer of IDWSF, unless I would agree with them.

After the vote, the office staff who handles the books, banquet and lottery contract gave notice on her contract in protest. She won’t work with the incoming president.

I still have a few buddies on the board. The board used to be split between the SFW types and the BHA types. We kept a truce to work on wild sheep. Not anymore. The power has shifted to those strongly for auction tags, lap tags, bonus points and the Utah model of wildlife management.

Thanks for your efforts Bryan. No consolation I'm sure, but I suspect others feel as I do; your steadfast adherence to what you believe in is admirable and appreciated.

Thanks for bringing it to light. I talked with a few guys from IDWSF last year at a IDFG meeting at it was clear they had personal agendas that were much more than "putting sheep on the mountain". Glad I never gave them a dime.

Was this even an issue at the sheep show? I'm just curious if the mood/tone of the show was a little more serious or if the issue was just brushed under the rug, I'm curious as to whether this stink has gathered much attention outside of Idaho?

I completely agree about the auction aspect. I think it should be done away with because most of us are bluecollar working men and women. Dropping tens to hundreds of thousands on a guaranteed tag frankly pisses me off. I don't mind the raffle aspect because it allows a guy like me to purchase $200 worth for a good cause while another guy might buy more tickets there is still the luck aspect.

Maybe someone should start a conversation group who's main focus is to help wild sheep!?

The other group I see doing good wild sheep work is NWF. IWF in Idaho. They're able to negotiate the grazing leases transfers. The vast majority of IDWSF funding the last few years went to NWF to pay for the transfers. You can skip the middle man and give to NWF/IWF directly. With IWF, you get a voice for public lands and the legislature in Idaho.

IMG_1783.PNG

Dear Directors, Trustees, PRAB and fellow Team WSF members:

Tuesday was a sad day for the Foundation as we received the resignations of Chairman Sayer, Vice Chairman Hansen, and Directors Foutz and Rominger effective April 1, 2017. I thank these fine gentlemen for their stellar service to WSF and our Mission and while disappointed in our loss, I respect their individual decisions.

While I’m disappointed, I want to reassure our directors, trustees, PRAB members, dedicated staff and most important, our membership, that despite recent events, the state of WSF is strong! It will be my personal mission, supported by the finest staff team in the industry to ensure that the momentum WSF has enjoyed the past five years continues, and to promulgate this fact as well as our recent achievements to our membership.

WSF just concluded another record-breaking convention, and we expect to exceed last year’s record net by 10+%. Many have expressed that this was our finest convention to date.

We secured more than $510,000 in cash corporate sponsorships for our 2017 show and expect to re-secure these supporters for 2018 in the coming weeks.

Industry talk at SCI and other events is that, while like organizations are stagnant or are on the decline, WSF continues to be “on the roll” and our show and banquets is/are “the one(s) to attend.”

Membership is approaching 7,000 at a current count of 6,824 – the highest paid membership in our history and a 10% increase over last year.

We’ve enlisted 214 Life and 111 Summit Life members thus far this fiscal year. Life member count now stands at 3,080.

Membership equity exceeds $19,000,000 – the highest in our history.

We have enlisted seven new Marco Polo Society members thus far this fiscal year with one more committed/awaiting pledge form and one additional pending.

We have enlisted 33 new and upgraded 5 Chadwick Ram Society members thus far this fiscal year with more in play.

We have secured $730,000 in cash contributions fiscal year to date from MPS, CRS and direct fundraising and $15,026,313 in cash and pledges program to date to our Ensuring the Future of Wild Sheep campaign.

We have secured fiscal year to date $285,606 in funding to our Conservation Revolving Fund to fund wild sheep initiatives with $30,000 pending.

Most important to the wild sheep resource, we are aggressively pursuing our NA CV 2020 conservation objectives and have reinvigorated our legislative affairs efforts to proactively support and help reach our conservation goals.

Rest assured, the state of WSF is strong and vibrant. You can also be assured that our fine staff and I are 100% committed to our board of directors, board of trustees and membership to ensuring that WSF’s brightest days remain ahead of us.

Respectfully,

Say goodbye to the Sayer team. I was not close enough to know who his henchmen were on the board. Now we'll see if the Idaho WSF prospers or withers away. I miss Dr Bob DeGrazia and the old guard. Guess that makes me a geezer too for remembering. GJ

Wow, I'm glad, yet very surprised to see Mr. Sayer resign....I'm hoping that the WSF and IDWSF can prosper from this and focus on putting some more critters on the mountain.

Wondering if brymoore can shed any more light on this? When I had contacted WSF a few months ago, it seemed that after the convention this might be a possibility. I had called WSF and talked with them and canceled my membership. I wonder if there will be a reaching out now of some kind?

That ram was going right to them, guides were not the best I would say. It would have topped out right in front of them.
Pretty fancy shooting on his part, not.
Sorry for that ram.

Wasn't following this but now, holy hell.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back