On the hunt for new scope covers

gman1

I have always used the plastic caps for my rifle scopes and am ready to upgrade to something more user friendly.

Can the members give me some assistance on what kind to purchase? I sure appreciate the help.
Thanks and happy trails.

gman

The new Vortex Defender scope covers are pretty excellent after years of breaking a set of butler creek covers annually. So far they really only have sizes for the Vortex models, but I'm sure it will expand as they are the only thing between $7.99 butler creek and tenebraex and they have a lifetime warranty.

I"ve never had a problem with my Butler Creek Scope Caps. Then I put the Leupold Stretch cover over them.

I tried bikini caps, butler creek caps, neoprean covers, and pretty much everything in between and they all failed or broke in the field within a few months of purchase. I got a solo hunter rifle cover last year and now that is all I ever use, I like that they also protect the barrel and action as well, huge life saver when you are hunting in wet conditions.

I've been using the neoprene style that comes on Leupolds but I really like this! I like the idea of keeping rain out of the rifle barrel. I spend a lot of time walking in the rain...

Just put a piece of duct tape over the end of your barrel and don't worry about taking it off. Won't affect your shot. I've hunted in NZ four times and all the kiwis do this. I just did this last week in AZ. Was worried about all the brush and debris that could find its way inside the barrel.

I bought one of the full coverage neoprene scope covers and its been great for me for 2+ years. Dry, clear glass and provides some protection to bumps and scrapes as well. The full gun cover does have merit, but I don't see a purpose for it for me. I put electrical tape over the barrel if its rain or snow. Doesn't affect the shot at all.

Butler Creek flip up scope covers have been fool proof for me for over 15 years. I don't understand the bikini or neoprene covers as you have to take them off, store them when not on the rifle, and all of that takes time and space. With the butler creek you are 2 flips from your hands already on the rifle and ready and you can shoot. Well, I guess I do understand the neoprene covers as a billboard...

Back