Leasing a truck an option?

Ben Long

Well, my 23-year-old F-150 has to be put down. My pre-season mechanic check found several significant problems with highway safety implications. Just not worth putting the money in to keeping Big Red alive. At the same time, I HATE to spend good hunting season time shopping for a new truck. I'm considering leasing a 4x4 until hunting season is over. I've never leased a vehicle before. Stupid? Tips?

I don't know about a short-term lease. On a 2 or 3 year lease, the advertised payments are usually based on very little mileage per year. For us, with the miles we put on our vehicles, it made a lot more financial sense to buy.

When you say short term lease are you talking from a rental car company, such as Enterprise or something similar? If so, it could be expensive if it was for more than a week or two. We have rented SUVs on a couple of different occasions for cross country trips to the mountains. Never had any issues. My credit card has rental car insurance protection, so I didn't have to pay extra for insurance.

Definitely not worth it if you drive it over hunting ground like I do... remember the new ones don't hold up to dents and scratches like your 25 year old will. For instance I put a dent in mine by leaning over the bed and pulling something out of the bed.. ok I put quite a bit of pressure on it but my point is while it does not bother me, the leasing dealer would probably make it repaired upon return.

You can always find a 22 year old Ford to replace it. :)

Leasing is a bad option. You're throwing your money away for a car that you don't own and won't get any value out of once you're done with it.

Fleecing? Just say no! You'd be better off finding something used for cash now, then selling that and buying your new vehicle after the season when you have more time...

Well, my 23-year-old F-150 has to be put down. My pre-season mechanic check found several significant problems with highway safety implications. Just not worth putting the money in to keeping Big Red alive. At the same time, I HATE to spend good hunting season time shopping for a new truck. I'm considering leasing a 4x4 until hunting season is over. I've never leased a vehicle before. Stupid? Tips?

Can't help on the lease/buy question, but I had to put down my 23 year old GMC this summer too. I feel your pain, but I will say trucks have come a long way in the last 20 years. You'll like the updates once you get into one.

You can always find a 22 year old Ford to replace it. :)

Leasing is a bad option. You're throwing your money away for a car that you don't own and won't get any value out of once you're done with it.
We leased a Toyota Matrix a while ago. We kept the miles so low that when the lease was up, we bought the lease out then turned around and traded it in on the Tacoma. Got $1000 on it after we paid off the bank.

We leased a Toyota Matrix a while ago. We kept the miles so low that when the lease was up, we bought the lease out then turned around and traded it in on the Tacoma. Got $1000 on it after we paid off the bank.

Nice work. I've always looked at leasing like renting - you're building equity and providing the profit for others, but it seems like you guys made it work for you. :)

Ben, an Alabama friend of mine used to rent a truck from "Rent a Wreck" here in Missoula for a month or so and was always pleased. Greg M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back