Elk steaks, what did I do wrong?

warmer

My son gave me a pack of elk steaks last night. The butcher labeled them "NY Strip". I cooked them on a charcoal grill and they turned out very tough. I used very few coals, kept them up and away from the heat, only had them on long enough to put grill marks on them and there was still red juice coming out when we ate them. What did I do wrong? What should I do different next time?

Do you know how long they were aged? In my experience 10-14 days at 40 degrees is about right.

A marinade may help. Maybe even some old school tenderizer (chemical or mechanical)

I changed the way i cook any steak, (although i have no experience with Elk steak) that's beef or venison.
Take chunk of steak, rub steak in oil, brown for 2 mins in very hot pan, transfer to very hot 220c oven cook for around 6 mins, remove and REST for the TOTAL amount of cooking time (extend the 6 mins depending on how you like your steak, rare etc) so in this case 8 minutes, then slice diagonally across the grain in fairly thin slices.
I bet it works....unless of course the butcher didn't supply steak!
Cheers
Richard

I go with a quick sear on each side with high heat if i'm grilling. Keep it pink in the middle.

Might need to do some tenderizing if you've got a tough old bull or as suggested do some aging.

It could just be the animal. Sometimes even if you hang them for a week, they are still tough.

Slice it thin when you are eating it, and you will greatly mitigate the toughness.

Some animals are just tuff. However, the biggest problem I see when wild game doesn't turn out is overcooked. We won't cook backstraps/steaks beyond medium rare. I cook a wild game steak same as a beef steak. Let it sit out to room temp, put it on a hot grill to sear both sides, then cook over less heat a few minutes on both sides. Let sit 5 minutes before cutting. Some animals are just tuff though. Marinades can help too. McCormick mesquite marinade is excellent.

I shot a cow elk last year and WY G&F aged it at 8.5 years. It was tough no matter what I did with it. Flavor was good, but tough. Late season hunt and it froze on my drive home so I didn't get to age it at all.

Maybe you didn't do anything wrong.
I don't use butchers and I sure as heck don't cut game animals like a Beef.

Was it rare, or medium rare? Medium? Best way to cook it is medium rare (Still red, but hot and cooked all the way through) . Unless it's a really tender cut of meat, rare will actually be tougher. Overcook it, and it dries out and gets tough too.

Like mentioned above - how long was it aged? How old or what type of Elk was it? If it was a big old gnarly bull, or a 15 year old cow - it's going to be a lot tougher than a spike or younger cow.

Two words.....Sous Vide. Look it up. All you grey hairs need to update your cooking techniques. Sius Vide will destroy ANY cooking method!!!

My guess is that it was tough to start with. I cannot stand meat that still has blood in it. I cook all of mine medium. I always tenderize any steak (except for antelope) before cooking.

Aging game meat is only marginally effective anyway, unless you can keep it at an absolute constant temp. I never have worried about it being tough, as long as the flavor is good. Of course, it is nice to be able to chew it, too. A lot of deer and elk steaks just plain can be a bit tough.

Older critter?

Marinade in a vinegar base, overnight or 2 days, cook rare. Works well for me on those tougher round steaks.

Was it rare, or medium rare? Medium? Best way to cook it is medium rare (Still red, but hot and cooked all the way through) . Unless it's a really tender cut of meat, rare will actually be tougher. Overcook it, and it dries out and gets tough too.

Like mentioned above - how long was it aged? How old or what type of Elk was it? If it was a big old gnarly bull, or a 15 year old cow - it's going to be a lot tougher than a spike or younger cow.

7 1/2 year old bull

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back