Grip and Grin Pictures I don't really care for.....

Lot of good tips in this thread Jose. I've found that it doesn't take much more effort to put some thought into composition and use some of the tips you suggested to make mediocre photos memorable. Your son only shoots his first deer once. I''m really happy with how this shot turned out. I took about 30-40 and got a couple that were good.

Attachments

• Dwayne and Jenn wedding, Timothy's deer 017.jpg
    Dwayne and Jenn wedding, Timothy's deer 017.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,161
Your son only shoots his first deer once.

You did quite well Gerald!

I messed up with my wife's first deer. It was a great buck, but it was in the 70s and we didn't take enough time. One thing I haven't seen mentioned, is to get into good light! She got him in some brushy timber and in the photo it makes it look like she's missing teeth! We can't ever get that back! I still don't take enough time with photos, and always regret it later.

Here is one "I really don't care for"....

A great deer (look at the drop tine!!), a great smile, good lighting...... and, for some reason, they felt the need to stick the gun and the sling as the focal point of the picture.

Get rid of the gun, and this is a PERFECT picture.

Gun in Antlers.jpg

Lot of good tips in this thread Jose. I've found that it doesn't take much more effort to put some thought into composition and use some of the tips you suggested to make mediocre photos memorable. Your son only shoots his first deer once. I''m really happy with how this shot turned out. I took about 30-40 and got a couple that were good.

I like the setting for this "first deer" pic, Gerald. Classy versus overpowering. Apologies for the comparison though between JC's example of, "I really don't care for"... I also agree with JC on the pic of the great smile getting squashed from the pic by a rifle hanging over the tines. Great buck, nice drop tine though the pic loses it's, subjective to the viewer, pride. Would be a great pic w/o the rifle rack pose.

It's sad when you shoot a pretty decent deer right outta camp the first hour of hunting and all you can think is..."oh man, Jose is gonna have a field day with this one"

Attachments

• 20161019_170930.jpg
    20161019_170930.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 988
Here is one "I really don't care for"....

A great deer (look at the drop tine!!), a great smile, good lighting...... and, for some reason, they felt the need to stick the gun and the sling as the focal point of the picture.

Get rid of the gun, and this is a PERFECT picture.

View attachment 63267

...ya gotta heed the nuance of a 26" pro hunter Encore barrel.

Good tips, Jose. Thanks. I can't stand the long-armers. And I've NEVER seen anyone kissing a dead sheep on the lips- yuck!

Trophy Pictures

With the ever growing ease that pictures shared on social media can hit thousands of eyes before a day is up hunters must be cognizant of that fact.

Make no excuses for being a hunter, but attempt to put forth the best image for yourself, your hunting brothers/sisters and the entire hunting community as a whole.

Doesn't mean don't take the infamous truck bed photos or straddle the dead deer shots....just don't attempt to spread them like wildfire. I, even as a hunter dislike these images personally.

I think we as hunters should attempt to put forth the best image possible...no that isn't catering to the anti-hunters it's called being smart.

If in an extremely small (miniscule) way I can assist in putting a better face foward for hunting by taking a couple minutes to tuck the tongue in, wipe some blood off and take a nice picture I'm going to do it every time; whether trophy buck, doe or coyote even.

It not only captures the moment in a way I can enjoy seeing in years to come, it also puts forth the image of a hunter and not just a killer...there is respect woven into the harvest.

Just something to think about.

20131028_115233.jpg

Last edited:
I love the selfie on the cell phone. I think those 2 pictures are ones that Jose would approve of. Unbridled joy and no long arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back