Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Grip and Grin Pictures I don't really care for.....

JoseCuervo

Just thought I would start a thread on pictures I don't really care for..... due to "artistic style" of the photographer. No offense to the animal, and no offense to the hunter. Just offense to the photographer...

We all "long arm" our pictures, but, there should be a rule you have to actually be closer to the animal than you were when you shot it.....
180 Deer Long Armed.jpg

Here is a great bull.... with it buried in the brush, and the hunter looking away.
Elk in brush.jpg

I love this deer. Two things from a photographer standpoint. Take some dirt and rub it on the fresh blood, takes the red out, looks good in photos. Second, tip the ball cap up a bit to get the shadow of the fortunate hunter's eyes. (I would also get rid of the bow in the picture, as weapons don't help the picture, in my opinion.)
Archery 54 buck.jpg

Don't gut your animal before taking pictures. (Notice his hand, plus blood on horns, plus the gut cavity in bottom of picture.)
Unit 22 Archery Gutted.jpg

Here is a great head only, in the farm yard, and they trotted the bow out to toss in the picture. A 350 Bull should get a better picture.
Head in Yard.jpg

You forgot the picture of the lucky hunter behind his trophy and his gun in the fore ground pointing back at his head.

I saw one this week, that I can't find, that started me thinking this.

A great deer out of Nevada, killed by a young girl, with the rifle laying on the rib cage, muzzle pointing at the girl.

To this day, every time I kill an animal, I check the action a half dozen times to make sure I didn't kick another shell in, with the safety off. And I always check my buddy's guns after a kill. It is just too easy to jack another shell into the chamber in the excitement of the gunplay.

I would never imagine anything worse than a kid getting shot after the joy of the hunt.

The only thing that really bothers me is when people long arm one trying to make the animal something that it's not. I don't care if there's blood in the picture or even if the animal is on the tailgate.

About the only regret I have ever had on a hunt was not taking enough/good pictures during a hunt, or taking only crappy ones. My favorites are usually just the animal and the background.

I don't mind blood, arrows, bullet holes, or guts. Though I understand a powerful argument against them exists due to the fact that society's perception of hunters has never mattered more, and those types of things affect that perception. If the picture was something that existed solely for those captured within it nothing would really bother me, but that's not the case. The long arm thing is ridiculous and obvious.

I can tell you what I do like in grip and grin pictures; I like to see the the landscape and a sample of the country that the critter lived in.

Ok...... Some more....

This one took me awhile to figure out the red gills this fish/deer has.....
Bloody Hands.jpg

Just a pet peeve, but, like when taking pictures of your kid, or your dog, get down to the level of the subject to take the picture and avoid the down angle in the photo.
Down Angle.jpg

The latex gloves are a nice touch...... (additionally, take the pictures before you put the tag on the horns...... and get the gear out of the background)
Gloves.jpg

I am really not sure how to properly pose a picture in front of the gas pumps....
Sinclair Buck.jpg

Triple the tailgate fun....
Tail Gate Bucks.jpg

I think you guys need to focus more on the fact the hunters were successful (and be happy for them) and worry less about how the photo was taken. Methinks there is a lot of hair splitting going on in this thread.

REad above. Nothing taken away from the hunter or the animal. Just commenting on the "artistry". Hopefully, others can learn from a list of "don'ts".

Jose, no personal examples to show us how it's done right?

Nahhh.... I never kill shit worth taking a picture of. Mostly just spend time, anonymously behind my keyboard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back