Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Alaska Hunting License and Tag Fee Increase

Bambistew

Just an FYI, all licenses and tag fees are increasing in Alaska for 2017, most NR tags will double in price.

As of now, you can purchase 2017 licenses and some tags at the current 2016 price. As of Jan 1, 2017 all fee increases will go into effect. I'm not sure if all locking tags will be available before Dec 31. The gal at ADFG I spoke with said most tags come in around late Nov, but she wasn't sure which ones would be on sale this year. I guess they have a meeting in a couple weeks to discuss.

If you plan to come up next fall I would look into getting your tags/licenses now if available to save you a few bucks.

If I'm looking at the site right, the only thing available right now is the hunting and fishing license?

Looks like only the hunting/fishing licenses are the only ones available, I didn't check. The gal at ADFG said the locking tags would be available in November. I pressumed they would have a few 2017 tags for sale this year like caribou and predator tags as the season spans the new year. Locking tags are good Jan 1 - Dec 31. Harvest tags are July 1- June 30 (I think). Not sure why the overlap. Harvest tags don't cost anything, just for record keeping. I'd be surprised if they sell moose/sheep/goat prior to Jan 1 as there isn't any NR seasons open between then and August, but not sure, and its highly unlikely to find/kill a bear in January, but who knows what they will do.

The draw supplement should be coming out in the next few weeks. Additional changes to the drawing include allowing up to 6 choices per species (originally 3), and all 6 choices can be made for a single draw tag (originally 1 choice per tag). Draw odds are set to get quite complicated. Each chance still costs $5 or $10 depending on species. The Board can chance the process, but only the legislature can increase the costs.

I saw this earlier this year as I am planning on going back to Alaska next fall. For what species is still to be determined, but if the dream I had last night comes true it will be a DCUA sheep tag. I am all for the tag increases and realize it is a big portion of the budget for the fish and game, but double the price was a tough pill to swallow.

Randy, I cannot answer your question, but you can buy a 2017 hunt/fish license now to enter the draw that is open Nov 1-December 15.

Bambi..for example?

Tag costs?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...oUtNUue2w&sig2=p5mlJJgQz80TPm9Eyc6Hbg&cad=rja

I have my doubts as to how much extra income will be created by the increase. I think many NR will simply only purchase one tag instead of two especially on a low probability of harvest hunt.

I realize this may be a hard pill to swallow, but tag fee's have not increased in almost 25 years. For example 25 years ago the cost of NR elk tag in most western states was about 25% of what it is today. ;)

Still a bargain IMO for an OTC unlimited tag for "you name it"...

Last edited:
I have my doubts as to how much extra income will be created by the increase. I think many NR will simply only purchase one tag instead of two especially on a low probability of harvest hunt.

That's exactly where I'm at. I'm going regardless, but if I can sneak in under the old prices I'll have twice as many tags in my pocket.

Bambistew, have you heard about this? the board of game has a meeting scheduled to discuss next of kin regulations on goat, sheep and bear. Mainly if a nonresident harvests an animal with their next of kin the next of kin also has to punch a tag. Thoughts?

Bambistew, have you heard about this? the board of game has a meeting scheduled to discuss next of kin regulations on goat, sheep and bear. Mainly if a nonresident harvests an animal with their next of kin the next of kin also has to punch a tag. Thoughts?

Heard plenty about it.

...and discussion of whether to schedule reconsideration of the board’s regulatory action from March 2016 concerning bag limits for brown bears, mountain goats, and sheep taken by nonresidents who are accompanied by resident relatives within the second-degree of kindred (Proposal 51 as amended)...

The board will consider the proposed regulatory changes at a special, teleconferenced meeting on Sunday, October 23, beginning at 9:00 a.m. The board will not be taking written or oral public comment during the teleconference.

A live audio stream of the meeting will be available at www.boardofgame.adfg.alaska.gov during and after the meeting for the public to listen to. Members of the public may also listen in to the meeting by teleconference. The number of teleconference lines is limited so listening via audio stream is encouraged. Contact Boards Support at (907) 465-6098 between October 17-21, 8:30
a.m. to 5:00 p.m., to receive the listen-in only teleconference number.

I'm guessing The meeting will be to discuss either having another meeting to discuss reversing prop 51, it or making it regulation for next year. I wouldn't be surprised if its the later, honestly.

I will hunting waterfowl in January so I will be buying a 2017 license. I also drew a spring POW bear permit.
So I will be able to buy the license and the locking tag in December for 2016 price ?

So if I'm applying for a Spring of 2018 black bear hunt can I buy a 2017 Moose Locking Tag and then if I don't draw the black bear permit, I could do a fall 2017 Moose or Caribou OTC hunt. If I did draw the tag, I could use the Moose Locking Tag on the bear since it is lower priced? Does that sound like it would work?

Thanks, Nathan

Sounds right if it's the same year tag. I don't think you can use the 2017 moose tag on your 2018 bear hunt. You can buy your 2018 license though, I did. Check the regs or with F&G. I wouldn't rely on internet info. Ed F

Last edited:
I seem to remember that this spring it was a 2015 locking tag even though we were hunting in 2016. Not 100% sure though. Those spring bear hunts are odd with the timing on the draw and all.

You do not need to buy a locking tag in order to apply for a draw hunt but you do need a valid license. I had a 2015 license and applied in December 2015 for POW spring black bear and drew it. My hunt isn't until 2017. I just purchased my 2017 license and 2017 black bear locking tag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back