Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

TAG bag FAIL

MThorseshoer

After doing what I felt was a serious amount of research and being really impressed with how TAG bags handled a recall in the past I pulled the trigger this spring on my very own set!

After a dry spring bear season and archery elk season I finally had some success opening weekend of antelope. We brought the carcass back to camp and quartered it there. Four quarters and all the fixings easily fit in one bag and I carried it 25 yards to the cooler. That evening I carried the bag 25 yards to the house to process. While removing the quarters I discovered an inch and a half TEAR in my bag! I was shocked and pretty disgusted. I sent a request to pristine ventures on their website immediately and have not heard back yet. I am hoping to have some time this evening to call them directly and see if there is anything to be done.

However it turns out I am a little worried about trying to put elk quarters or even deer in these bags if they couldn't hold a speed goat for 50 yards!

IMG_2658.JPG

I have used TAG bags for years and dozens of animals of various sizes. I'm not saying this is good by any means and I hope you didn't get a set of lemons and they make it right with you. Over the years while laying a bag on the ground to keep quarters clean and deboning the havalon has gotten to close many times and I end up with a slit in the bag. I just use the iron on patches you would use on your jeans and patch them. I have a set of bags that look like a Dalmatian but they just keep on ticking.

They had a recall last year on some of the bags..you may have gotten a set from the bad batch.

I've carried 1/2 an elk in them many times. Only time I ever had a tear is when I've slit it with my knife while boning or not paid attention to where I set the bag down. Patch it...it'll be fine.

TAG bags are legit, but there was a bad batch last year. I would say you have experienced the exception rather than the rule. They will make it right with you no doubt, they are good people. Larry is probably just busy chasing moose or caribou but he will get back to you.

Just curious. Did you have saw the feet off (was there a sawed bone)? Those edges of sawed bones can be hard on synthetic bags. Especially if you pack a single bag full and sling it over your shoulder like Santa's bag of toys. I've had mine for about 10 years, and they are still going strong. Not without there blemishes, but the still perform well.

For small patches, i use these...

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/pro..._medium=base&gclid=CLSIteTJ1c8CFQsvgQod8NgKdA

I wish I could by a giant sheet of these patches. I use them for just about everything from tears in my down sleeping bag, Waders, Rain coat, Socks! Everything.

The bag was definitely not ripped before because we spent time admiring the fabric and checking it out because we haven't used anything like this before. The goat was quartered and legs left on so no sharp edges. And there was a ton of room left in the bag so I don't feel like I over loaded it.

I am totally fine with patches if needed but for what I paided I figured I'd get a bit more use before needing to patch them!

Hoping it's a bad batch and I should be able to get in touch with pristine ventures this week!

Larry was simply outstanding to deal with in handling the recall. As others have suggested, he's probably out hunting right now. Use the hell out of them, regardless of the tear as he's going to send you a new set anyway.

Somewhere out there's a high school kid or stay at home Mom working a part-time minium wage job in customer service that wishes they'd had taken a job pulling weeds or that housekeeping job for an hourly rate motel.

You may have set it on something sharp, or as mentioned a bone may have poked through. Can happen with any game bag or pillow case. I think I have about 5 sets of TAG bags, many of them have holes in them. There was a run about 5 years ago that were really heavy duty, none of those have holes in them, but they also weight 2x as much too. Most all of the rest have holes due to 60+lbs of meat in them and setting them on a sharp stick/rock or using them as a cutting board. I have a couple Caribou bags with the same issue. If you can find a set of bags that is puncture proof, light weight, and breathable, please let me know. I'll but a couple dozen.

The recall on TAG bags, I believe, was due to the seams separating.

Make sure you test all your un-used ones so they don't burn you in the field. I had a bad batch, and could pull them apart with my hands. For me it wasn't an issue with the seams, it was with the fabric itself. With that said - they were replaced no questions asked.

Sounds like Larry got stuck with a bad batch from his supplier - but I haven't heard from one person who was upset how the replacements were handled.

More info here.

This.

Used them for years and don't remember ever getting a hole in one that was not caused by a mouse (remember, 1_p?)
I do! I really need to get back to CO to redeem myself for tag soup that year.

PS- For such a 'tame' elk hunt we sure broke a bit of gear that year. Hiking stick vs. truck...

Back