Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fist full of tags

20160818_144951.jpg

I think it may have cost $1.08 ? :D

Cheap phone case from the dollar store, a small piece of pvc, some glue and camo duct tape!

Well, I'm heading out extra early tomorrow morning. This will be my long trip of the year. Going solo again, first stop will be Utah for the General Deer hunt opening on the 22nd. This is my first time ever hunting Utah, so I am pretty excited, but I'm going in blind as I didn't get to scout the unit this year. Its in some really remote country, arguably the most remote country in Utah, so I doubt ill have reception, but hope to find some on a high point somewhere. After Utah ill head to Idaho for round 2 to try and see what I can turn up on the General Deer hunt up there. Going to hit the sack, pretty tired after playing catch up at work and home. Lot of hunts coming up for a lot of guys, so good-luck to you all out there and be safe.

Hey Guys, I’m finally catching up at work and home. I didn’t do any updates during the hunt because it was toouuugh! Its been a brutal season for me so far. The Idaho tag and the Utah tag are both intact and unfilled. I have seen some decent bucks this season, but nothing that gave me the feeling that I “HAVE to shoot THAT deer!” I returned home last Sunday night and have put a total of 12 days in the field so far this season, and haven’t pulled the trigger once yet. I wish I could have spent some more time out there but there is only so much time I can be away from work.

The warm weather, really put the deer in the thick stuff in Idaho, and the frequent rains really made the dirt roads slick. I slid off the road one day and it took me some time and a pair of chains, but I made it out okay. So accessing some places was tough. But I did learn A LOT about the units I hunted in both states and feel like that is already a big success! So I have high hopes for future seasons, but I am trying to salvage this season someway.

I really can’t believe how fast this season is going, and I only have one trip left. I’m heading to Montana in mid to late November to try and fill my buck and bull tag. I need some meat for the freezer, so I will really be trying to fill the elk tag with an elk, but I am still holding out and hoping that I run across a big mature Mule Deer buck. I hope I don’t end up with a pocket full of unfilled tags, because it is sure looking that way right now!

Just got back home last night from Montana. I had a combo tag, good for a Deer and Elk. I filled both tags. I took a Mulie buck out in Region 7 on 11/21 and a Cow Elk in Region 3 on Thanksgiving. I made a bit of an error on the buck, thinking he was wider than he really was. He is the smallest bodied buck I have ever taken, and so his antlers looked big in comparison. But the deer hunting wasn't easy by no means. Lots of doe's and small two points, and few bucks 2.5 years or older. So I am grateful to have taken him. As for the elk, well it was warm and there was no snow. Maybe I'm just a bad hunter, but I only saw one bull on public (albeit a pretty good one) in the 6 days I spent hunting elk, and only a few handfuls of cows on public land. Happy to have the meat after striking out in Idaho and Utah.

I'm already planning for next year, and cant wait to get out and scout some of the new country I learned this year, as well as some old haunts in units I expect to hunt in 2017.

MT Buck 2016.jpg

Here is the buck I was able to take.

Goodluck to you guys still out there today!

Back