Caribou Gear Tarp

Seeking input on a lever gun

• Thread starter Guest member 25165
  • Start date
G

Guest member 25165

I am looking to fill my last spot in my safe with a lever action rifle. I am looking at the Marlin 1895 GBSL in 45-70 or the Taylor Alaskan Takedown in 44 mag. I don't own either of these two calibers at the moment but did have a Henry 45-70 in the past.

The Marlin has a 18.5 inch barrel, green paint over laminate stock, and Williams fire adjustable sights. The marlin comes in a 8 lbs.

The Taylor has a stainless barrel and receiver, black rubber stock and fore end, skinner peep with fiber optic front, 20 inch barrel, based off the 1892 action, and is set up for a scout scope if optics are desired. The Taylor comes in at about 6.5 lbs.

The rifle will be used for deer hunting and black bear hunting.

Preference on caliber or brand? Any thoughts on which would be the better purchase?

Both have over-sized loops.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few thoughts on the Marlin. I've got an 1895 SBL, one of the newer builds manufactured by Remington. I would not buy one without a very very close inspection prior to the purchase. I love mine. It handles well and I actually enjoy shooting the .45-70. But it has feeding problems and has since day one. I have a great gunsmith that is going to pull the rifle apart this winter and work it over, so the issue will be resolved.

Inspect it closely. Test feed/fire if at all possible.

Of the options you posted I would choose the 45/70. I like the 44 mag takedowns but unless you hunt with dogs and tree bears it wouldn't be my choice. If I wanted a good takedown lever gun that would handle most anything I wouldn't overlook a Browning in something like 358 win.

I have a Marlin .444 and I love it. I have killed several deer with it. It has very similar ballistics as the 45-70.

454 casull will work great on deer and bears. Spouse has a Rossi/Puma and it is a good rifle. Nice price and the caliber is really awesome in a rifle. We take hogs with it almost every year. Good range out to 100 yds with open sights and lots of reloading options. It will reach out to 150 with no problem and you can match it up with a quality pistol. Bighorn Armory also makes a big 500 I think. Turnbull does great work on lever guns and sells some also.

I have an older Marlin .444 that is about the most accurate gun I own out to 200 yards. Also the heaviest. I also have a Browning BLR, do not overlook these rifles as it is very accurate as well, and they come in multiple bigger calibers that might fit your needs.

I weighed in & out on adding my input, on this one.

I'll piss some people off with what I have to say, but it's MY experience. Take it for what it is.

I have no use for a Win 94. Period. Next up is the Marlin 336. Had one in a 35 Rem. Loved the cartridge, Hated the rifle.

But, you've expressed interest in the Marlin 45/70, or a Taylor 44 Mag. I'm dubious of any Marlin, now that Remington took over. QC with Remington has been questionable for some years now.

I bought a Ruger 96, in 44 mag, a few year ago, and aside from the fact that it's a plain jane, I like it. Really can't see why a 45/70 would do any better on a bear, over bait.

If I were buying again, I'd go Henry.......

My next lever gun is going to be a Henry Big Boy Steel .41 mag if I can find one. I prefer carrying matching pistol and rifle caliber on my hog hunts, so I need a 41 mag to carry with my Ruger Bisley. I hear good things about Henry and they are made here.

i bought a Pre Remington JM stamped Marlin 1895GS last year and killed a nice deer with it my first time out. I wanted a woods gun with open sites. I love it. it filled my lever gun dreams perfectly. it has everything. stainless, classic good looks and "cool gun" appeal with the 45-70 round. you cannot go wrong with it. I also got it for a steal on gunbroker for under $700 which was a very good deal. looks brand new. my Dad has a Browning BLR in .308 that is also a very nice gun. also the reason I didn't buy one for myself since I kinda of already have one in his. a BLR in 450 marlin or 358 would also be at the top of my list and was on my list but I just found a better deal in the Marlin. I changed the follower in my 1895gs so it would cycle Hornady leverevolution ammo and it works flawlessly now. I agree I'd have to look over a new Marlin very closely before buying as I've seen some with some bad fit and finish and have heard horror stories about new Marlins.

the Browning BLR is the "nicer" gun and the drop box magazine and nicer iron sights is hard to beat. not to mention many more caliber options. .308 is so hard to beat for deer and bear and with many more cheaper options in factory ammo than the 45-70 or 450 marlin or 358.

have fun choosing.

I appreciate the feedback...I really do.

For those of you who suggested the BLR...I've had one in 7mm-08. It was a beautiful gun but the trigger was honestly god awful. I've also owned a Henry in 45-70 and it had light primer strikes all the time. I actually sold it to a guy who was never going to shoot it. He wanted to hang it above the mantle (whatever floats your boat I guess). I know the QC of remington hasn't been great as of late and this is why I'm a little leary of the Marlin. I love the skinner sights on the Taylor, but the gun isn't cheap either. Still mulling it over.

I have a 10 yr old Marlin 1895 GS 45/70, love it. Feels good in the hands, points well and shoot sub 2" off the bench. The trigger - 7lbs out of the box and the lever action (ease of cycling) needed professional help. I had the trigger set at 3.5lbs and the lever action is nice and smooth; have over 1000 rounds thru it with NO failure to function problems (just don't be dainty when cycling). I have used this on antelope (makes things more interesting) and it is my go to whitetail gun. I recently picked up a new Henry at a gun store, feels good in the hands, not as good as the Marlin - but not enough to dissuade me, points well and the trigger and action are pretty good. Gonna buy it for my son for Xmas. Careful on the new marlins.

A comparison of sorts: http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_marlin1895G_henry45-70.htm

Just my 2 centavos, but for deer and black bear I'd probably opt for a 30-30 or 35 Rem. Some of the new factory loads and powders available for handloading have upped the performance of these to rounds.

Personally I like the Browning Model 71 in .348 Winchester. Close second is a 1895 in 30-06 or 35 Whelen. Harder to find, and could be spendy, but you can hunt pretty much anything in North America with either of these.

Jeremy

Personally I like the Browning Model 71 in .348 Winchester. Close second is a 1895 in 30-06 or 35 Whelen. Harder to find, and could be spendy, but you can hunt pretty much anything in North America with either of these.

Jeremy

A model 71 is one hell of a rifle, a nice original Winchester in deluxe is hard to beat.

I have an older 1895 CB, pre Freedom Group and it's a great rifle and they have had some problems but have heard that the current stuff isn't bad. The Taylor sounds interesting and the 92 action is a slick operator but I don't have any experience with them.

Have fun, let's us know what you end up with and how it performs.

I own a couple pre-Remington Marlins, and I bought a post-Remington 45/70 for my Dad.

The older ones are absolute gold, it really is amazing they were able to manufacture such a high quality gun for the price they sold them at.

The post-Remington functions and shoots fine, but the fit and finish is obviously a step below the older ones.

If you go Marlin I'd try hard to find an older one, or make sure you can look over a newer one well before you bought it.

I think after reading all the posts, I may go a different route. I might consider the Henry Long Ranger in 308. I already have a 308 in a tikka ultralight and an AR-10. I like the performance of the 308 and to have it in a lever action would be slick. Again, still mulling it over.

I think after reading all the posts, I may go a different route. I might consider the Henry Long Ranger in 308. I already have a 308 in a tikka ultralight and an AR-10. I like the performance of the 308 and to have it in a lever action would be slick. Again, still mulling it over.

haven't seen the Henry Long Ranger, it looks really nice. looks a lot like the BLR in form and function but I like how it doesn't have iron sights on it, they get in the way on the BLR if you have a 1 power scope. I do like how the BLR's trigger travels with the lever, the Henry's says in place like all the other levers out there. still not a deal breaker for me

I'm all about lever guns but it's clear from your post you are looking for function over form. I'm more into the history and the aesthetic, having several 1886 Winchesters. Most are safe queens but I have one that came from the factory as 38-56 and someone put a 40-65 barrel on it, destroying the collector value so I had it bored out to 45-70 and I hunt with it (when I hunt with a rifle; usually I hunt bow or muzzle loader). Anyway, it functions flawlessly and shoots accurately out to 125 meters (maybe more but I don't shoot long range much). I have no clue as to how good the new ones are (out of Japan) but all my originals feed and shoot great. 45-90 is a good round too.

a010507 001.jpg

I'm all about lever guns but it's clear from your post you are looking for function over form. I'm more into the history and the aesthetic, having several 1886 Winchesters. Most are safe queens but I have one that came from the factory as 38-56 and someone put a 40-65 barrel on it, destroying the collector value so I had it bored out to 45-70 and I hunt with it (when I hunt with a rifle; usually I hunt bow or muzzle loader). Anyway, it functions flawlessly and shoots accurately out to 125 meters (maybe more but I don't shoot long range much). I have no clue as to how good the new ones are (out of Japan) but all my originals feed and shoot great. 45-90 is a good round too.

View attachment 62650

I hate you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back