Caribou Gear

Another eastern hunter looking for another hunter to head west with.

ericsplls

I'm 36 and live in Georgia. I have been on one elk hunt but have spent many days backpacking out west. Most of our big game hunting in GA is whitetail. Sure I have hunting buddies here but if you haven't hunted here most guys think the have really done something if they walk 200 yards to their treestand. Nothing wrong with it but when I talk about elk hunting and strapping everything needed for a week on my back I start getting dumbfounded looks like I'm speaking a foreign language.

I would like to find three or four guys to have a group hunt every year. Like another post someone that lived close would be great but a group can get together ten times for lunch and you won't really know what each other is made of until your on the side of a mountain, the hunting is tough, and it's raining or snowing the whole time.

The reason I said group of guys instead of one as there's often something that pops up leaving one guy alone if they choose go. That happened on my elk hunt. I went by myself and everything was ok until I called home and asked the wife to try to find out what the weather was supposed to do. Of course it was in 2013 and while the weather forecast in Gunnison and Crested Butte showed 20% chance of rain I was at 12k and it was snowing when I went to bed and knee deep when I woke. Never felt like I was in serious danger. Just wanted to know if it would stop soon or if I needed to pack up and head down the mountain. The elk left the night before. Tried to call the forest service office several times before calling home but never thought the furlough had them shut down.

At the risk of making a long post even longer lets just say as long as I continue to be wed there are no solo trips in my near future.

It doesn't have to be a group from the east. I also don't want to go elk hunting every year. I have one week a year and caribou, moose, antelope, mule deer, and a trip to Kodiak are all on my short list.

I am a little north of you in Knoxville TN area, in Chattanooga frequently too. What part of GA you in? Would love to hear what your plans are. I am relatively new to this forum so not sure how you can contact me - message via forum or if you need my direct email address?

Have been to Montana 2x before, on guided hunts - was not all that fun as not really hunting imo. So, I have been working on logistics of dumping gear and truck in MT and then doing multiple weeks flying in and out for both archery and rifle seasons... Work will not allow me to do multiple consecutive weeks or even the long drive out/back during the season. My plan is to either truck camp (sleep in truck) or tent camp backpacking on mountain top (sleep with the elk). I plan to place the truck and gear in August during a scouting trip and then bring back after thanksgiving.

Would be nice to have someone else along to lessen the chance that I am the one eaten by the bear by 50%.

My philosophy is I will be very safe but will not be concerned over comfort. I will be tired, hungry, cold/hot, and smell bad at any given moment of hunting...

Hey Privateer, I am in West Tn and also looking for someone to join up with me. I was up on the mountian this fall and told myself that I have done enough solo trips. Get in touch with me (731-363-0474), lets talk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back