Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Help locating wolves in unit 39, Idaho in Nov

shooter981

Hi guys. I'll be headed to Idaho in Nov for the unit 39 archery muledeer hunt and I'd like to get into some wolves too with my rifle. This will be my third time hunting Idaho and I've been into wolves Everytime in one way or another. Howled a pack into camp in the Frank Church last year at 10pm :( They're a huge bucket list animal for me and I'll probably have 5 tags with me. I'll repost once I'm out to hopefully get some info on current sightings. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

A large portion of Unit 39 burned this summer caused by the Pioneer fire. 188,000 acres. It started out of Idaho City, blew over hwy 21 ran to the North fork of the Boise to Jackson Peak lookout back to Sunset lookout. Then it came down into Lowman, jumped hwy 17 burned up Deadwood River. They burned out Clear Creek and they finally stopped the head on the Stanley/Landmark road. A lot of these areas burned to the ground and some areas did a good backing type job. Call the Boise National Forest and find out where you can and can't go.

Spoke with another member over the phone yesterday. Still amazes me how helpful and genuine people are here. Thank you Walt! Plus google earth is awesome lol! I'll be taking 1 for sure, maybe 2 scouting trips up to 39 this weekend. One of those days it's supposed to rain but it's a good opportunity to test out the new rain gear. If I hear or see anything I'll let you know.

Good luck have ran into a few wolves in 39. Never when a season was open. Been a few years but lots of sign north of Idaho City, beaver creek area. Not sure if it burned haven't been up there this year.

Have the wolves affected the deer quality in this unit?
Unless wolves have decided they are trophy hunters, I'd guess that wolves might effect quantity, but quality of the area would be less of a concern. Man would be a bigger concern with how quality might be effected as we humans like to take the biggest we can find.

Unless wolves have decided they are trophy hunters, I'd guess that wolves might effect quantity, but quality of the area would be less of a concern. Man would be a bigger concern with how quality might be effected as we humans like to take the biggest we can find.
I meant to ask if they have had a severe affect on the quantity of deer. My high school education obviously didn’t teach me much

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back