Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by onpoint View Post
    Hmmm, could be an interesting new correlation.

Montana's real/perceived downturn in the quality/quantity of "good" big game hunting just happened to commence at about the same time as the advent of:
    OnXmaps, First lite & Sitka clothing, Nosler Accubonds, Leupold TBR 1000 RF's, Rage Broadheads, StealthCam trail cams, etc., ad nauseum......

Could it be that hunters began to be more concerned with how good they looked and how high tech their gear was vs. the management and stewardship of the very resource(s) that gave them the opportunity to look good and use that cool gear while they got out there???

Full disclosure - a current owner of some of these - I shot my biggest Muley buck before I ever owned ANY of them..................
    Name:  camo_0.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  115.9 KB
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

2. Default

All antlers ond no meat.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtclod Az. View Post
    All antlers ond no meat.
    If you use your imagination a little bit you can see that underneath the hair on all of those dead critters there is meat. I find that pictures of actual meat are quite rare before the advent of social media. In the picture of my brother carrying out the antlers of a bull that hung in a tree for several years, I can assure you that it was not the gut pile that they packed out on horses several years earlier. That picture attests to the order of their priorities.

My family still uses a meat grinder that my dad built in the 1950s. It is a converted hand crank grinder on an angle iron frame and ran by an old washing machine motor. My brothers and I reminisce about how much meat has gone through that thing in 60 years. It has been a whole lot, but to my knowledge there has never been a picture taken of it in use. I will have to remedy that.
    Every time I use it I think of Mt senator Jon Tester's hand, mangled by a meat grinder accident as a child, and remember poking meat down into it as a kid with a handy butcher knife, or a wooden spoon. I can even attest to a quick, careful dab with a finger now and then, but not anymore.

Here is some meat, this is newer but theirs was very similar, only less visible in a flour sack, and the picture would have been in black and white.

Name:  first day buck 009.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  72.8 KB

You could not have written a better reply than that lol...

Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures. Its a strange feeling I (we) get thinking about how it would be to go back and hunt in those times. I usually go with the "we are living in the good ol days of hunting now" because in some cases with game there are more now than ever, but damn all those big giant bucks your old man and his friends killed with rifles not meant to shoot a mile make me want to get started on that time machine Ive been putting off building...

Nice pics

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MTTW View Post
    Last one for now. I think this was 1959 or 60. This was my dads truck but I don't know where the deer came from.
    Attachment 76142
    Pretty sure I lived in that house behind the truck for a few winters! These old Gardiner-area photos are amazing, thanks for sharing them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123