Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Muzzleloader/Open Sight Accuracy

OutdoorAddict14

I have been shooting my muzzleloader and feeling a little uneasy about accuracy; but after thinking about it, I'm not sure what kind of accuracy I should really expect with open sights. I get a decent group at 50 yards but when I move back to 100 it gets wider as one would expect; but how wide is acceptable? At 100 yards I have a difficult time seeing the orange dot (even after making larger orange dots!) so I know most, if not all is on me, not the gun or load. That's where my issue is; if I get a good group at 50 yards, should I assume its acceptable at 100?
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

I have 2 in-line 50 cal muzzleloaders a T/C omega with a 3-9x 40mm scope the other a cva Kodiak with Tru glo iron sights. At 100 yards my 3 shot group on my T/C is usually under 2 1/2 inches the cva averages a little over 5 inches this is at the range with a bench rest. With a standard front post and rear notch iron sight I don't shoot at game past 150 (although I only have a 10/22, 30-30,and the muzzleloader with those sights). Now with my M1 garand I'd feel comfortable at shooting out to 300 yards with a good rest but it has a adjustable peep sight which are far more accurate for long range shooting.

Last edited:
I can get honest fist-sized groups at 100 yards from my TC Impact with the standard open sights (fiber optic, probably Tru Glo like yours). A lot depends on your load too.

Emrah

I get around 3" at 100m with my Tc bonecollector open sights. To me that's solid hunting accuracy and all I need. There's an obsession these days with getting under a MOA for all shooting where in reality it's just not required, especially at muzzleloader ranges. It

I get around 3" at 100m with my Tc bonecollector open sights. To me that's solid hunting accuracy and all I need. There's an obsession these days with getting under a MOA for all shooting where in reality it's just not required, especially at muzzleloader ranges. It
I get about the same with my CVA open sight and it drops to about 1.5" using the scope. A lot of guys don't like see through mounts, but I love mine on my CVA. they saved my hunt on the Island a few years ago as I took a nasty fall on the bike and the scope tube was dented. I was able to use the irons and take a doe at 110 yards.

Put up a paper plate. Shoot 3 shots at it. If all 3 hit the plate that is an effective range. Move the plate out to where you start missing, now you have gone too far. The last place you hit the plate with all 3 shots is YOUR maximum effective range. No matter your ballistic coefficient, bullet density, trajectory, blah, blah, blah. Figure out your range then go do some stump shooting, this is supposed to be fun. Don't get too caught up in the minutiae. Good luck.

Put up a paper plate. Shoot 3 shots at it. If all 3 hit the plate that is an effective range. Move the plate out to where you start missing, now you have gone too far. The last place you hit the plate with all 3 shots is YOUR maximum effective range. No matter your ballistic coefficient, bullet density, trajectory, blah, blah, blah. Figure out your range then go do some stump shooting, this is supposed to be fun. Don't get too caught up in the minutiae. Good luck.

Good advice. My granddad used paper plates for many years while I was growing up. He was laughing about my shoot n c targets in a video my cousin was showing him the day before he passed giving me a hard time about the money I spent.

Try a peep sight. I switched to one and love it. Also, try several different loads and powder to see what your gun prefers. Black powder guns are very fickle. Call your manufacturer and get their suggestions. Alot of smoke poles shoot better w charges of 80-90 grains. I spent a whole summer testing different loads and powders before finding a combination that my gun loves. Also check this guy out. No Excuses Bullets. Custom loads and great prices. I learned so much talking to him for 20 mins. He can offer some good suggestions for your specific gun.

Last edited:
I put TruGlo ghost rings on both me and my wife's muzzleloaders and our accuracy greatly improved. She is still new to muzzleloading, so she is still shooting shorter distances, but I can get a 2" group at 100 yards with mine. The ring helps your eye focus downrange without all of the peripheral view of the open fiberoptics. I got mine for $35 on Amazon.

paper plate is great size to emulate vitals. Good advice. I also think a peep site or ghost rings help a lot. I'm good to about 85 with standard fiber optic open sights, I can get another 50 yards or so with a ghost ring. It's my eyes, not the firearm. The Idaho muzzleloader regs require no optics, so that's my compromise.

For me the problem is with the "OLD EYES". Trying to get the front and rear sights aligned properly... that's why I went to a scope (legal in Iowa).

good luck to all
the dog

I'm an Old Fart ..so please bear with me, if you will.

1st, you never told us what a "good" group" was by your standard.

But, when I was a very young boy, all the writers in Outdoor life, Field & Stream, etc. would espouse their grand knowledge that hitting a pie plate was good to go, PERIOD.

Now a days, everybody has to hit a quarter at 100yds, or you seem to need to loose sleep about it.....

Can't tell you how many times I just gave up chasing the accuracy Fairy and said "Good Enough".

And, yeah, try a peep sight. That makes since.

Thank you all for the comments and I apologize for not answering sooner; I have been preparing for my elk hunt and have been so focused on getting ready. I really like the paper plate exercise, that sounds like a great way to determine maximum range which is exactly what I have been looking for.
By the way, my elk hunt ended successfully with one shot from my .50 cal Knight Disc Extreme. I guess it was accurate enough!

My dad always enforced the paper plate rule like others have said. Long gun or bow...wherever I could keep 3 shots on a paper plate was my max range.

I put TruGlo ghost rings on both me and my wife's muzzleloaders and our accuracy greatly improved. She is still new to muzzleloading, so she is still shooting shorter distances, but I can get a 2" group at 100 yards with mine. The ring helps your eye focus downrange without all of the peripheral view of the open fiberoptics. I got mine for $35 on Amazon.

I stole this advice from this thread. I tried a peep sight on my 2015 muzzleloader deer hunt in Minnesota and liked it, but not when the sun was low, which is when the majority of the deer come through for me. This peep sight also has fiber optic in the peep itself, which helps a lot during low light conditions. It worked well for me and is relatively cheap. Thanks John!

paper plate is respectable for effective range,,,my lyman and me w peeps sights usually can do 5-6" group at 100 w my muzz,,id say that would be about average for a muzz.,loose powder,#11 ,peep sights,lyman graet plains,classic style muzz,hex barrel

This is 100 yards with powerbelts and 80 gr of pyrodex.
I have three of the tc Hawkins .50 cals. if you do your part one on of them will shoot one raged holes.

This is the first two rounds out of the newest rifle with the same load, from my uncle. that was before any adjustments.

This is what I am expect from my prohunter. It is the bottom three shots.

It comes down to what you are looking for, you can always adjust powder volume and different bullets. I reload so I spend a lot of time trying to make my rifle perform.

Last edited:
For me the problem is with the "OLD EYES". Trying to get the front and rear sights aligned properly... that's why I went to a scope (legal in Iowa).

good luck to all
the dog

This when you have little choice but to go to peeps. It saved my shooting with open sights.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back