OnX Maps

TimeOnTarget

Hey guys,

I know OnX is a sponsor around here so i will keep this to a minimum. I've used OnX Maps in the past and never had an issue with them. Even after all the warnings I've read here and else where about not trusting your hunt to the phone app, I still did it.

I've alerted OnX to this thread and hopefully they will respond here and help us all out.

PLEASE do not trust your hunt to the app for your phone. I learned the hard way why people have advised against this.

First, The unit boundaries didn't even have my Idaho unit on it, it was like it didn't exist. I should have known this was a read flag before i even left but i knew the boundaries and left it at that.

Over the last 2 weeks I had days where the saved map simply wouldn't load and 90% of the time when the map did load it wouldn't activate the GPS on my phone, but yet google earth could activate the GPS just fine even in airplane mode. I also had days/times where the maps would load but only flash the satellite imagery on my phone screen for about 1 second and then it would disappear to the gray screen, with still no GPS.

This app was just short of completely useless for me the duration of my entire hunt.

If I hadn't had 3 other guys and a 20hr drive ahead of me, I would have stopped at OnXmaps when i drove through Missoula on the way home and gave them an ear full. I was beyond dissappointed in this app and its functionality and will be contacting them about either a refund or credit towards a GPS chip. Then I'll have to order a new GPS I guess.

Last edited:
Another reason why I use each as it was intended ....... phone as phone, camera as a camera and a GPS as a GPS.

Not to pile on but I looked at a friends In Reach phone app while hunting vs his downloaded iphone maps through OnX. In Reach was way clearer with their maps. I am writing this in hopes that OnX will step up their game as I have been a long time user of OnX with my GPS only. Still do not trust the phone app due to stories above.

My OnXMaps app has been pretty bomber on my iPhone. I think one of the other threads pointed out it was mostly the Android version that was having issues. I also carry a GPS with the chip, which has been 100% reliable.

The phone app worked good until this yr. Heck the other day I lost the ability to store maps to the SD card. After pulling my hair out trying to fix it I email them and they reply with oh yeah we removed that.
Half the layers don't work half the time either.
They raised the price $10 this yr and dropped thier quality 100%. Put profits ahead of customers if you ask me.

I tried the app out, and passed on using it in the feild. I have a touch screen GPS, and didn't see any added value to using the phone.

Hello All,

We are sorry for the difficulties you are having with the App. We would also like to thank you for your feedback, we will use it to continue to improve our product.

Here are a couple quick fixes that may help:
- Make sure you have the current version of the App updated.
- Refresh your layers by going to Menu > Layers and pulling down on the screen
- Completely close out of the app and reopen it (varies by device, but usually double tapping on the home screen and swiping the app up completely closes it)
- If all else fails, deleting and re-downloading the app from the App store or Play Store fixes just about any issues you might be having (NOTE: deleting/re-installing WILL DELETE any saved maps you have on your device. You WILL be able to get your Waypoints/Markups back however!)
If you continue to have issue please email us at [email protected] or give us a call at (406) 540 1602. This will be the quickest way to get everything fixed and you back in the field hunting. It appears there are some unique issues on this thread that we can help fix in a short phone call.

Thank you,
onXmaps

Hello All,

We are sorry for the difficulties you are having with the App. We would also like to thank you for your feedback, we will use it to continue to improve our product.

- Completely close out of the app and reopen it (varies by device, but usually double tapping on the home screen and swiping the app up completely closes it)
- If all else fails, deleting and re-downloading the app from the App store or Play Store fixes just about any issues you might be having (NOTE: deleting/re-installing WILL DELETE any saved maps you have on your device. You WILL be able to get your Waypoints/Markups back however!)
If you continue to have issue please email us at [email protected] or give us a call at (406) 540 1602. This will be the quickest way to get everything fixed and you back in the field hunting. It appears there are some unique issues on this thread that we can help fix in a short phone call.

Thank you,
onXmaps

It's great that you respond to these threads and are willing to take our input but for us to call or email is useless for most of us. We have a couple weeks to hunt. Then our hunt is over for the season. But when a saved map fails to load repeatedly and you are 5 hrs from cell coverage, it doesnt help. Nor can i re-download it out in the sticks.

It needs to work 100% of the time from the get go for us hunters to put any faith in the product. Kinda like going hunting with a rifle that only fires 10% of the time, Doesn't make much sense.

Earthmate App maps that are free with inreach service subscription worked flawlessly and the aerial photos coverage is much nicer resolution than Onx. And WAY easier and faster to get downloaded by a wide margin. And the USGS maps and pvt/public land overlay is great too.

OnX app was a total bust on iPad and iPhone this year. Sad but true. That said the Onx map chip for GPS unit is terrific .

Hopefully Onx stabilizes the App before 2017 hunting seasons and cleans up
the map download process and time it takes....

Earthmate App maps that are free with inreach service subscription worked flawlessly and the aerial photos coverage is much nicer resolution than Onx. And WAY easier and faster to get downloaded by a wide margin. And the USGS maps and pvt/public land overlay is great too.

OnX app was a total bust on iPad and iPhone this year. Sad but true. That said the Onx map chip for GPS unit is terrific .

Hopefully Onx stabilizes the App before 2017 hunting seasons and cleans up
the map download process and time it takes....

This is on a delorme? You're using the delorme for your mapping software? Sorry, I dont know much about inreach or delorme....

Funny you should mention this - I bought Idaho today and nothing loads. But I have had Wyoming on there for a few weeks and no problems. I just got back from Wyoming and used it every day with no issues. It was a big help coming out one night. I was way back in and then went the very long way around coming out not to spook a very nice bull I saw. Having that thing in the dark was a life safer.

I am using it on my phone - not my GPS unit.

There were times when the maps did not load the topo features and simply showed the roads. This did happen to me for brief periods with my Saved Maps as there was no Verizon service where I was. But it always worked in terms of roads and still had the terrain 75% of the time. It wasn't perfect but I could never imagine hunting again without it.

But I am having issues with Idaho. It keeps saying the layers are unavailable. I just figured it would clear up in time or they would tweak what they needed to. They are very responsive.

Hello All,

Thank you,
onXmaps

Refreshing the layers worked for me. I know have Idaho and the layers are working. This is on my phone BTW. Thanks!

Is there a place where it tells you what color is what on the map? My ID card came in today and I'm just trying to figure it out.

Is there a place where it tells you what color is what on the map? My ID card came in today and I'm just trying to figure it out.

It would depend on what layer you are speaking of. When it comes to GOVT lands and Private Lands, it will tell you the names. But what layer are you looking at that has different colors? If it is land ownership then yellow is BLM, light green is NF, dark green is State, and white is private,

I cant seem to get my waypoints to show up on the computer. They show up on my phone but not on the computer. What do I need to do to see them on my computer.

I have downloaded the OnX app on my Android phone in the last few weeks and it has been working stellar for me. Having worked in the software field for the last decade or so there is a lot of truth in their response as to why it may not be working on a particular phone. Phones settings, disabling updates, viruses etc can affect each phone individually, and with the myriad of different Android brands and versions on the market it can be difficult for any app to stay up to date. Not saying that they are without fault, but there are a lot of extenuating circumstances for any given phone and user.
Software and apps are rarely intuitive for those of us that are 40+. I have been guilty of a lot of PEBCAK errors in the past. If all else fails let your child or grandchild take a look at your phone, they grew up with this stuff. :)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back