Caribou Gear Tarp

Gallatin Trail MTN Goat

Her Dad did not realize they had made it a proposed wilderness until after she drew.

That pesky due diligence thing I was "ranting" about that set you off on the wrong tone...

I do hope they/you can find some way to make this hunt successful. Its a shame to see opportunities/tags like this not given full effort.

I think you've been led to water by a few people familiar with the goats and area.

Good luck

This computer jockey is also out...

Shot my billy in '98 from this herd, they're wooly in November.

goats.JPG

Last edited:
Suggestion: don't call the guy who knows more about where the goats are in that unit than any hunter on the planet a computer jockey...

^^^^^^

The internet is a great place to mine information if a miner knows where to look and how to dig....

Can't help but notice how soft that computer jockey's hands are... Not a callous to be seen ;)

Good luck to your friend's daughter. Hope I get the opportunity to spend some time in there some day. She drew the tag my 13 year old applied for...

Attachments

• IMG_3725.jpg
    IMG_3725.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 689
I have mixed feelings about this, as I have 5 daughters 3 of which have hunted and two of which currently hunt. My oldest lost interest last year (10th grade). I do believe I took her on to many hunts that I did not allow her to be successful and set the bar too high. Last year I applied my second oldest (14) for moose, knowing that it would be very feasible to take a newer youth hunter and harvest a bull moose in the district I applied her. She drew the tag and I let her shoot the first good bull (45") that we had the opportunity at. Luckily that came early in the hunt. That said she now lives and breathes hunting and this year and going forward I will apply her for both sheep and goat as I am 100% confident that if she drew either of those tags she would have the drive and commitment to chase those animals in the habitat they occupy. It's a tuff one but the best I can say is stick with it and good luck.

On second thought, Ramshorn might be a little much and the goats I saw were north of there. Sounds like you know that area. I told my 12 year old son it wasn't that hard of a hike to get to the peak. He complained the whole way. Now when I say a hike is easy he makes me rank it "compared to Ramshorn."

On second thought, Ramshorn might be a little much and the goats I saw were north of there. Sounds like you know that area. I told my 12 year old son it wasn't that hard of a hike to get to the peak. He complained the whole way. Now when I say a hike is easy he makes me rank it "compared to Ramshorn."

That is funny. That is the drainage we have always used but I was worried she would not make Ramshorn hence the windy pass adventure.

Buzz is 100% correct. We (dad) should have looked at it closer but with 3 kids and a job sometimes life runs you over. I'm not about to critize him for it. Chit happens. He is a friend and needs some help, that is all I need to know.

Sounds like I need to study the northern portion access more. Again thank you to those offering suggestions.

If the computer jockey joke has you honestly upset I do appologize. It is hard to show sarcasim in a post.

No disrespect was meant, was going for a haha.

When I read the later post about blisters on her feet, well, that about says it all right there. A body should be able to circumnavigate the globe without a single blister. A little bit has to do with accustomed feet, and one whole hell of a lot of it has to do with boots. Good boots that fit right and are broke in will take feet out of the equation. But without feet; it's like a house without a foundation. Start there and work up.

A little off-topic, but I have had occasion to run into the ADA (American's With Disabilities Act). There is a lot of high flying rhetoric there and in the implementation. It has, in the past, got me to asking where we draw the line? Worst case scenario is a Medal Of Honor Recipient who lost a leg and then worked with Morther Terresa in Calcutta, and then saved babies from burning buildings: Does he have a right to assisted access to roadless areas? Sorry, but in my opinion, no. He does not. There are just some places that some folks can't go and we should not make accommodation for them. They'll just have to be computer jockies if they want to visit (virtually).

I'm getting older and can't do what I used to do. There will be a day when I can't go where I used to go. Too bad for me. I would like to die out there though. Hmmmm?

I hope you guys keep trying. Maybe get an outfitter to take you in on day hunts for the weekend or something. I sure would like her to enjoy the experience and hope she does even if she does not get a goat! WE are all pulling for her.

I think moose (bulls), sheep (rams), and goats (either sex) should be once in a lifetime tags. More folks deserve the chance at least to draw one of these spectacular tags!!

Wow, I'm not sure how to say this without ruffling feathers...but, since I had one of the first 4-5 tags ever issued in this unit...may as well chime in with my thoughts.

1. I've said for years that its a bit irresponsible to apply young hunters for these types of tags. I really wish they would allow a "points only" category for youth hunters, allow them to get points, but not necessarily draw a tag. That way, they're not behind the points curve, but can mature as a hunters when they are more physically able, and have more hunting experience under their belts before drawing these type of tags. I also think parents should really give some serious thought PRIOR to applying youth hunters for these tags. Be realistic and honest, "is my ____ year old really up to this____hunt". I know at 14 years old, a goat hunt would have been very, very difficult for me best case, and perhaps close to impossible. I just didn't have the experience, right attitude, experience, etc. Honestly, I would have had more fun with a pocket full of whitetail or pronghorn doe tags. I needed hunting experience more than a goat tag.

2. When I drew this very tag in 1998, I know there were only 2 permits issued that year, and there were 2 tags issued in 1997. I cant recall if there was a single tag issued in 96...there may have been, but I just don't recall. Those were the first tags ever issued for the unit. I know that in 97 I saw 2 big billies and that's what prompted me to apply in 98. I hunted those 2 particular goats the first 10 days of the season, as I found out later I was hunting "ghosts" as both were killed in 97.

All this leads to the comment about "way back in the day I could ride my 4 wheeler"...when I drew in 98, there weren't many people with 4 wheelers, and I know that the goats occupied a very small portion of the unit. None of it was accessible by 4 wheeler where the goats were. "Way back in the day" 16-17 years ago, for this unit, you had to either hike or ride a horse. The stuff I hunted, horses weren't an option for most of it, no motorized access at all.

Computer jokey comment was directed right here. Who else can pound out a 1,500 word essay and finish it with a picture of them riding a dead goat from 1998.

I somehow mixed Randy's 5 mile comment into my response meant for buzz. It was not meant, i did not have time to address it at the moment and I feel bad. Sorry Randy!

I was choking on Buzz's B.S.

Take a look at post #20. That is "Buzz's ghost billy" from 1997 that would never live in country a four wheeler would go. If you really want I can dig up a picture of that beautiful billy strapped to my buddies 4 wheeler - who is also a hunttalker and can verify we very much used a four wheeler to pack him out the last two miles. This after hiking many, many miles and boning him on the edge of a cliff then packing him out on my back for a few miles. This was my third trip to the area and if I remember right our third day hunting that trip. I saw more then 2 billys also jockey.

One of the best hunts of my life - the two mile four wheeler ride was fun in my mind.

Now break out a picture of that long haired nanny you rode for the hero shot Buzz!

Last edited:
I hope you guys keep trying. Maybe get an outfitter to take you in on day hunts for the weekend or something. I sure would like her to enjoy the experience and hope she does even if she does not get a goat! WE are all pulling for her.

I think moose (bulls), sheep (rams), and goats (either sex) should be once in a lifetime tags. More folks deserve the chance at least to draw one of these spectacular tags!!

+1 The big three should go OIL in Montana!

I don't mean to sound hard here but what did you expect when you put her in for the permit?

Hopefully she hangs in there. Good luck.

I expect you to read and try to understand that going along to help a 14 year old in No way implies it is my daughter.

That is great you are ready to jump all over a Dad trying to get his girl to love the outdoors but it was not me.

Thanks for the valuable input to the thread...

What's done is done. I hope this thread gets back on track and I hope your friend's daughter gets her goat. Still a lot of time, and even though a 14 year old may not be able to pack heavy weight on a difficult backpack hunt, 14 year olds go backpacking all the time. Maybe to reduce the pressure(if she is feeling any at all) turn this tag into a series of high-country backpacking trips. Bring fishing rods and enjoy some beautiful country. Quite an opportunity to create memories, and whether they are accompanied by tag soup or not, I doubt the power of those memories will be reduced in any way. Best of luck!

No one can help you now. hahaha....

Hahaa. If that don't give you a chuckle I dont know what will.

I just meant to post a couple quick pics. Should have left my opinions out.

It won't happen again.

Happy Friday all!

Wow, I was out all last week hunting and missed this blowup.

I think a few of the comments from all sides in this discussion were taken a little of of context.

I was with Steve when he took his goat in the unit.

We hunted our asses off from foot, horseback, and yes, we did ride a four-wheeler in a ways when he actually killed his goat which was perfectly legal at the time.

I will vouch for Steve as he hunts his rear-end off and has given up the majority of his archery season to help out this young lady which is no small feat when he has a family of his own that keeps him very busy.

Nothing wrong with a few ruffled feathers but there is some good intel to be gleaned here and I think that was the intention.

A lot of guys I respect have chimed in on this thread (MtMiller, Buzz, Rob, Gerald and most definitely SteveE) and I'm sure you'd all get along fine sitting around having a cold beer chatting hunting.

My .02 (albeit, late to the table) cents.

Cheers, fellas.

Chris

PS: I was also on the hunt with this young lady's Dad when he took his goat in this unit a few years after Steve did. As far as due diligence in selecting a unit, I think it's totally do-able for a 14 YO to kill a goat in this unit and this young gal is going to.

Last edited:
IMG_1133.jpg

Biologist documented 11 year old nanny with 9-3/4 measurements.

Proud of her and that smile says it all.

Thanks to everyone that helped!

I am glad it worked out for her. I hope she enjoyed her hunt. Thanks for the update.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back