Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Gallatin Trail MTN Goat

Those of you saying I'm complaining and just want an easy hunt are more then welcome to tag along anytime! I would appreciate your expertise and obviously you can carry more and hike harder. I'm no greenhorn or MTGomer but I roll out at 4:00am and pound as long and hard as my body allows. I stay on the hill all day and glass till dark. I've been snowed on 3 times this September. How many times have you computer jockeys poking fun at me?

View attachment 61828

Daybreak at 9,200 ft in a light snow - if you listen you can hear my teeth chattering. Yeah, I just want an easy hunt.

Last edited:
Maybe a different goat unit should have been chosen?

Agreed!

We hunted this unit when we went to college in Bozo.

Her Dad did not realize they had made it a proposed wilderness until after she drew.

In his defense it is getting hard to keep up with all of the changes but yeah this unit is no longer an option for a kid.

Live and learn I guess

Even I could kill a goat in that country and that says A LOT
image.jpg
Seriously though, as others have mentioned, if you're not finding goats within a couple miles of the truck, you're probably making it more difficult than it needs to be. Good luck!

There is a ton of collective wisdom being thrown out here on different topics - I would try not to take it too personally SteveE. Most of the guys posting in this thread are not "internet hunters".

That Mtn Goat unit is big - and yes the part of the unit you were hitting can involve more trail miles. Other parts of the unit don't require as much boot leather (as Lawnboy pointed out).

It's a tough hunt for any 14 year old - and it really depends on the kid. JLS's points are well thought out. Good luck to the young hunter, I hope that she has a great time and has a shot a filling the tag.

Those of you saying I'm complaining and just want an easy hunt are more then welcome to tag along anytime! I would appreciate your expertise and obviously you can carry more and hike harder.

Relax. No one has questioned your ability. Actually I think everyone has been rather polite and tried to be helpful to your situation. As mentioned by others and you seem to agree, more research should have been done prior to the application with regards to the ability of the young hunter if successful in the draw. Who exactly are you upset with?

This^^^^^
Like others have said it will be a challenge for any age level but you don't need to go to windy pass to find goats. Is Hyalite in that unit? Head North of the cabin but hang on the west side of the ridge. Lots of goats

Yes Hyalite is in this unit. I know nothing on that portion though. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you are talking about heading north from the portal creek cabin that is exactly what I did. Every goat was farther north in that nightmare drainage south of storm castle. Maybe you are refering to different cabin?

Yep, just a bunch of computer jockeys that have no idea what they're talking about.

I know I've never sat on the Sentinel and glassed for goats... No wait, I have. Saw probably 40 that day. Decided it was waaaay too far to hike for goats when there's such better access elsewhere.

P1060454_zpstswunbki.jpg

The mileage comment was meant as helpful input, but obviously you don't need any.

There's spots in that unit that you can kill a goat and be back in Bozeman in time for happy hour.

That is the exact point I took that photo of the goat Randy. He was another mile in from where you are sitting. ??

Relax. No one has questioned your ability. Actually I think everyone has been rather polite and tried to be helpful to your situation. As mentioned by others and you seem to agree, more research should have been done prior to the application with regards to the ability of the young hunter if successful in the draw. Who exactly are you upset with?

Not upset at all. Just wondering how I managed to walk past the goats lol....

Those of you saying I'm complaining and just want an easy hunt are more then welcome to tag along anytime! I would appreciate your expertise and obviously you can carry more and hike harder. I'm no greenhorn or MTGomer but I roll out at 4:00am and pound as long and hard as my body allows. I stay on the hill all day and glass till dark. I've been snowed on 3 times this September. How many times have you computer jockeys poking fun at me?

Daybreak at 9,200 ft in a light snow - if you listen you can hear my teeth chattering. Yeah, I just want an easy hunt.

Maybe a touch thicker skin would help.

Both drainages above Hyalite hold goats (as well as the country around Blackmore). It's not unusual to be able to see some from the parking lots.

As Randy mentioned, there is no reason to pack camping gear unless you want to spend the night on the mountain.

I believe everyone has replied very respectfully to SteveE and even tried to help him. His attitude doesnt help to improve my regard for ATV reliant people.

Maybe a touch thicker skin would help.

Agreed. Did not mean to come off as offended. Buzz's rant about how people put kids into units knowing nothing about them set me on the wrong tone. I appologize and appreciate those offering helpful suggestions.

Still laughing at RobG's post - the 2 packs line was classic!! Thank you lol

I just jumped into this last minute. The area biologist recommend windy pass - sentinel. That was there plan so I went with it. Looked good on google but not so much once we got up there. I have always gone in from the other side - where they extended the closure.

Wrong access point is what it seems. Thanks for the advice!

Yes Hyalite is in this unit. I know nothing on that portion though. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Suggestion: don't call the guy who knows more about where the goats are in that unit than any hunter on the planet a computer jockey...

I'm surprised the bio said windy pass. I haven't seen goats within a kid's walking distance of that place, but maybe they are there at times.

I'm surprised the bio said windy pass. I haven't seen goats within a kid's walking distance of that place, but maybe they are there at times.

I think it may be more of a summering area for them. Reading the cabin log book people have written about them. Both hikers I spoke with said they had seen them on Sentinel.

A friend that ran the 50k race said she ran through about 50 of them near Sentinel.

Was my first time up portal so I'm clueless. Anything north of Fortress I'm cluelss- it didn't feel cliffy enough for goats to me.

Man you should have seen the bull moose I saw in the big hole this week...

It's all just haha fellas. No hurt feelers I hope!

Back