2016 Idaho elk - pack goats chapter 2

Congrats! I have a question about using goats. I see that you're in Idaho. Do you hunt an area with grizzlies? Seems like they would make an easy meal for a bear in some of the spots that I've hunted in MT. Would taking them into an area with a lot of grizzlies concern you?

No not really. If I hunted grizzly country I would have a portable bear fence, as seen on several shows where they hunt in grizzly country, and if you pick your camp spot right you shouldn't have to worry to much, don't camp in the bottom or in a saddle or on a bench, I like to camp just below a peak to block wind, don't camp in a spot with lots of tree's/thick area, take some precautions and a bear fence and you will be fine, definitely carry a weapon and bear spray, just in case, The grizzly bear is above us on the food chain in my opinion.
Matt

An electric fence makes sense. I know that the grizzlies kill a lot of domestic sheep in places. I would think that goats would be an easy target too. How do you haul them?

An electric fence makes sense. I know that the grizzlies kill a lot of domestic sheep in places. I would think that goats would be an easy target too. How do you haul them?

I use a small trailer that I modified, here is a picture from last year on my wife's elk hunt, I have since put a half canopy on it for the cooler weather/rain/snow, we put it on another trailer with our ATV, we used the ATV to pull the small trailer to the different trailheads we used from our camping location, that way we did not have to unload the overhead and use the diesel which makes horrible fuel mileage going slow.
Matt

IMG_1828.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup. Thanks for the info.

yea it works pretty good, but I have 1 goat that will be of age next year and I have 2 that are up and comers that will be ready in 2 years so i'll have 6 packable goats, so I need a bigger trailer, looking at a 12-14 aluminum enclosed or partially enclosed trailer, will see, don't have to worry about that till next year.
Matt

Nicely done! The goats look like a great way to access some country easier. Hope you can continue to use them for a long time.

Nicely done! The goats look like a great way to access some country easier. Hope you can continue to use them for a long time.

Yes they are great, on the deer hunt earlier this year I didn't have to follow a pack trail, we just took off up a drainage full of dead fall and the goats did great, they climb right over all that stuff! I only had too get them water about every 2 days, when it was raining I didn't need to, between the water on the plants and a couple small mud puddle's they got the water they needed, I really enjoyed having them this year, first time i've been able to get back in the backcountry like I used to before my car wreck in 06'. So I was in heaven this past season being back in where I like to be.
Matt

If I was ever lucky enough to convince my wife to move back West, I'd look hard into goats or possibly donkeys (http://www.originalatv.com/). I think they'd fit my hunting style and desires for maintenance better than a horse or mule. The long term concern for me with goats, if I was invested in them, is how long the Federal agencies will allow them to be used in areas that contain bighorns...

If I was ever lucky enough to convince my wife to move back West, I'd look hard into goats or possibly donkeys (http://www.originalatv.com/). I think they'd fit my hunting style and desires for maintenance better than a horse or mule. The long term concern for me with goats, if I was invested in them, is how long the Federal agencies will allow them to be used in areas that contain bighorns...

That is true, the bighorn deal is a big concern among goat packers, it comes up often on those type of forums. The major deal is being educated on the transmission of the disease's that kill bighorns, the bighorn has to basically eat a blade of grass that has goat feces on it. Which is highly unlikely, the transmission of disease's between the two are highly unlikely, you just need too be educated on the topic and you will be fine, its one of those deals the the bighorn guys push just because, instead of fighting among each group we need to be together on issue's that actually impact our hunting rights. Also the big problem is they lump Pack goat's into the Sheep/wool production / grazer's, Pack goat's should never really be considered dangerous to bighorns, just cause of the fact that the likely hood of pack goats coming into direct contact with a bighorn is highly unlikely. There is plenty on the web for you to do research on it.
Matt

I feel I'm pretty darned well versed on the subject. That said, I'm also fairly well versed on the Federal regulation process as well. Thus my concern...

Like I said previously, I hope you are able to use them for your hunts, wherever they may be, for a long time.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back