Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2016 MT fall bear

SteveE

After a tough Friday night football game with a couple touchdowns and some big defensive plays the boy shrugged off the soreness and threw on the pack one more time to find his first bear.

Our buddy had a camper set up in the area so we gladly accepted his offer of dry lodging and headed in Saturday afternoon limited to that evening and the next morning of hunt time. Saturday evening produce nothing but the wind.
IMG_0234.jpg
Sunday was more wind and I was getting down. This kid has put a pile of miles on looking for a bear. We just have not been able to get it done with his busy school/sports schedule. As I laced up my boots pre-dawn I feared this would be another day of wind and no bears. The feeling of failure was creeping in - I had told him every bear story I had. At what point does a 16 year old lose interest? We needed a miracle. I needed to show him hard work pays off. The game plan was to head out before dawn and hike 3.5 miles into a basin full of chokecherries. Nothing to do but say a prayer, throw up the hood and march on.

About a mile in and right at daybreak we caught movement on the ridge above us. Finally a bear while the boy is with me! As he set up for the shot I glassed for cubs in the heavy brush. I struggle with bears but the muzzle and blockish head said boar to me. Told the boy he looked young but legal and had a beautiful coat, a great first bear, 150 yards, take him.

Right then the bear disappeared in the 8 foot brush and my heart sank knowing we may never get a look at him in that jungle. Soon after the bear started up a rock outcropping. I gave out a loud woof and the second he stopped broadside the boy hit him perfectly as I watched the bear roll off the cliff. Finally! Proud papa!!
IMG_0437.jpg
Young boar stuffed full of berries and fat.
IMG_0445.jpg
Eblerstock pack loaded down.

Thanks for the comments fellas. I have been busting my butt trying to get him on a bear for a couple years now. Just have had limited time and a streak of tough luck. If he was with, no bears. The next day I would go out without him and see multiple bears - just bad timing but it was honestly starting to get to me. We all want our kids to succeed and I was failing him. I've harvested my share of bears but this one is special to me and will not be forgotten.

That is my boy in the pictures and packing him out. At 16 he doesnt look like my little boy anymore. So damn proud of the man he is growing into.

Thank you for the comments.

Last edited:
Congratulations on an awesome hunt and a beautiful bear. Being able to hunt with my Dad, I know how special it can be. I know your son will never forget that hunt either.

My favorite hunts have been with my pops also. Can't wait to bring my boys along in the near future. Congrats young man.

Buddy harvested number 3 of 2016 while spotting for bulls the night before general
IMG_0707.jpg
IMG_0726.jpg

Love the Bob Marshall wilderness hat, that is the most popular hat with my kids all three wear them. Infact replaced on for the son in-law for Christmas, his was too well used.

oz

Thanks for the comments fellas. I have been busting my butt trying to get him on a bear for a couple years now. Just have had limited time and a streak of tough luck. If he was with, no bears. The next day I would go out without him and see multiple bears - just bad timing but it was honestly starting to get to me. We all want our kids to succeed and I was failing him. I've harvested my share of bears but this one is special to me and will not be forgotten.

That is my boy in the pictures and packing him out. At 16 he doesnt look like my little boy anymore. So damn proud of the man he is growing into.

Thank you for the comments.

So you should be. Congratulations on both.

Taxidermist finished the tan last weekend. We do the skulls. Boys bear on the left placed next to my first bear.
IMG_1369.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back