Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunting Accident

Firedude

I was hunting my usual spot. On our return to camp we noticed a Sheriff's vehicle go past with his lights on. By the time we made it back to camp another was quickly approaching. We asked if there was anything we could do to help and he replied if we had medical training to get in the truck. A hunter had been shot. I know automatically some may think "Shouldn't have had one in the chamber." I agree but here is the story I was told. His mother had drawn a moose tag. They had spotted a fairly nice moose and she was going to shoot it. However it moved and they had to re position to get a shot. At this point she fell and the gun went off. Now, how many times have we all done the same thing? Spotted game, loaded for a shot, it moves, we move. Probably more than once. He was severely injured but alive. We helped as best we could and he was Life Flighted to East Idaho Regional Medical center. The family was nice. However I was in "Hunter" mode and not "Medic" mode. I know it sounds weird but that is how I do the job day in and day out. Even my wife says I'm a little different on days I work the Ambulance... I feel like I did not preform well and thought I would make up by posting on here. They are asking for help. If you would like to here is the GoFundMe. https://www.gofundme.com/2nddnfg It doesn't seem like a lot if your donate a little, but if every deer hunter in Idaho alone donated $1 there would be over $157,000. Thank you if you would like to donate. They appreciate it I'm sure. I've contacted Brant and offered to take his mother to find a moose in his absence if she would like to go. He told me she may never pick up a rifle again. We will see. If she contacts me I'll do my best to get her a moose.

Man that is a crazy story. God works in mysterious ways, such as you working as a paramedic and being in the woods and someone needing assistance. Even though you felt off, I'm sure what you did helped save that mans life. Thanks for posting the gofundme link.

Horrible accident. Dangerous game we play. You can't beat yourself up. You helped that is the important part. GSW are a mother to deal with especially with the rounds we use. FMJs in the sandbox are all I have personally dealt with and they can be bad.

There was me, another EMT, a nursing student, a surgical Tech, and a PA all within 2 miles of the accident. I guess it's not a bad place to have an accident.

In a situation like that, when you aren't prepared nor really equipped to respond to an accident, you can't beat yourself up if things don't go like you would expect when you've got all of your tools at your disposal. You did what you could, and the guy was much better off for whatever aid you could render.

You helped a stranger get through probably the worst day of his life. I'm glad there are folks like you out there who are willing to help.

In a situation like that, when you aren't prepared nor really equipped to respond to an accident, you can't beat yourself up if things don't go like you would expect when you've got all of your tools at your disposal. You did what you could, and the guy was much better off for whatever aid you could render.

You helped a stranger get through probably the worst day of his life. I'm glad there are folks like you out there who are willing to help.
What she said.
When you're at your most vulnerable, like these people, any help is greatly appreciated.

I've been in "Hunter" mode instead of "Firefighter" mode before so I get what you mean. You still stepped up to the plate and did what you could in a bad situation

I was a paramedic for 18 years and now a PA for 6. When you don't have your tools with you it's easy to feel like you didn't do everything right. The first time I had a STEMI in my office I felt lost because I didn't have all the things to help like I did when I was a paramedic. It sounds like you made a difference in that man's life. Good job.

My wife ran ambulance for a number of years and was in two different modes, also. It is a self-defense mechanism.

I know of two fatal hunting accidents that paramedics could do nothing about. One was while I was living in NM. A boy leaned a rifle against a truck. It fell and killed him in front of his dad and brothers. No chance for survival with the injury.

The other was my cousin, who lived in Cody, Wyoming. He was hunting elk with his soon-to-be step daughter and the same scenario unfolded. The rifle fell and shot him through the top of both legs. Even though he was hunting with a fellow medic (both worked fire and ambulance), he bled out before they could stabilize him.

You were available to at least keep that person alive. You and the others were put there at that time, for a reason. Nothing happens by accident.

The funny thing is I know this guy, good guy, he was my neighbor for 6 years. He got me, a job after my car wreck where he worked, very nice guy, has 4 kids he's very involved in hunting with his family, not sure if you guys recall my wife's deer about 10 years ago she shot, Brant was with us, he borrowed my wife his daughter's 257 roberts to shoot the deer. Small world....
Matt

Thanks for helping. Don't be too hard on yourself. without a drug bag, Monitor and first in bag it's easy to feel lost. You do the best you can with what you have. That all we can ask or do.

So sad. There was another hunter shot this year in eastern MT.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back