MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico Archery Elk

Sending you all the positive vibes I can muster! Your Google Earth overlays have been invaluable to me. Wishing you the very best!!!

Heard they closed ALOT of roads in the 16's. Can anyone confirm that?

Here is the approved MVUM (option 'G'): http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3804028.pdf

We scouted in early August for my 16C tag and there wasn't any signage - but the map is pretty clear. There's a google earth overlay out there too, but I can't find the link at the moment. Search should turn it up quick.

Good luck, all! I'll be there in mid-October.

Posting test from delorme. Might be weird sending posts from the mountain with no way to verify they are getting through. Hope it holds up.

Of all the things I did to get ready for the hunt, I didn't really train for 13 plus hours behind the wheel. I'm ready to get out of this rig.

Last edited:
Base camp is set. Ran into a couple guys on the way in who had 2 nice 6 pts from 1st season. They said things were just getting going.

Hunt is on. It's windy but I have heard a couple bulls across the canyon already. About where I thought they might be.

Pretty quiet this morning. There are both bugles coming from the ridge I was hoping. I'm on a nice spot to glass so I'm going to park I for a bit.

Was on a bull last night but just couldn't get the wind right to really get in front of him. Got close enough to see some of his cows on two occasions.

Sitting on the side of the mountain wondering what I should have done to get in front of that group. Wow that was a big 5 pt. Forming a plan to get to em

Last night was a dud. Had 2 super encounters this morning on bulls I would have shot. Was clipped on, ready to draw on one but the wind may have got me.

Really slow bugling this AM. Did watch small group of cows with a bull until about 9:30. I hope they holed up in a steep little drainage dead ahead of me...

That fell apart quickly. After I heard the bugle I sat for about 20 more minutes. To me the bull seemed like he was 200 yards from me...

I started easing in his direction and didn't make it 30 feet before a cow jumped up and took off. I was on top of them. Game over. Frustrating

Had the big 5 pt at 25 yards this morning hard quartering to me. Full draw and waiting for a shot angle. Long stare down and finally he turns and boogies.

Back