Hello from New Mexico

NM34R

Newbie here in NM Unit 34. New to forums and hunting. Lurking for the last couple of months and am amazed at the knowledge and experiences of the members here. Hopefully I will have the time to get there.

Grew up in the Kansas City area, always wanted to hunt and liked the outdoors but was generally just a visitor for day hikes, mountain biking, sightseeing …. With encouragement from a friend, in 2013 at the age of 45 an hour before the NM deadline, I submitted my first application for deer and cow elk. I didn’t own a single item for hunting including a rifle but figured I would cross that bridge if I was drawn. I drew both. Oh s#!*! After struggling through deer season alone, then killing an elk with some help, I was hooked. Now I wish I wouldn’t have waited so long to take the plunge. Why did I wait so long?

It wasn’t an option growing up. My dad taught me how to shoot but never made it to the hunting part, he died in a hunting accident when I was 5, guns or hunting were no longer an option. I didn’t shoot a gun again until I joined the USAF 14 years later.
Life! Trying to make ends meet when you are 17 with a pregnant girlfriend in high school. Eventually joined the USAF and spent the better part of my 24 year career overseas in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Italy, Germany and Afghanistan. Final assignment was to Holloman AFB, NM in 2006. I loved the mountains, wife liked the lack of winters, so we stayed.

Maybe the biggest reason. Where to start? The questions are endless. Going into my fourth season and I still have millions of unanswered questions and that’s how I ended up here, lurking, trying to figure out how to become a hunter instead of a person that enjoys long walks in the woods with a rifle.

I may have over shared but I believe there are thousands of others out there like me that are just waiting for the nudge/invite to start hunting. I talked to many hunters over the years but none that seemed to want to take a new guy out. I now know that it’s not as simple as “sure come hunting with me next week” so now I try to assist, and encourage where I can.
If anybody is coming to NM unit 34 get in touch. I may not have much hunting knowledge but I may be able to help with area info.

Thanks for the shared knowledge,
Rod

From Roswell, welcome.

Probably 60 percent of my deer have come from 34. Still do not have that elk tag. You did really well to draw.

Good people in that area. Welcome to the forum community and enjoy you hunting!

Welcome to "non-lurking" status Rod. Quite an interesting road to being a hunter.

Good encouragement to be open to helping share the adventure of the outdoors.

Welcome! I lived in Alamogordo for over 10 years before transferring here to Nebraska. I worked for the Border Patrol there. My kids grew up with the cop that just got killed there. They lived across the arroyo from us in La Luz Canyon. His dad was one of my supervisors in the Patrol.

Anyway, I spent lots of time up in the Sacramento Mountains hunting deer with my muzzle-loader, so if you have any questions, I will try to give you some help from my old info!

Welcome to the forum, that was a great intro. If you come out by Socorro, look me up. I'm an adult onset hunter, too, and am approaching 40. I'm in my fourth year and finally drew elk but have had chances at oryx and three deer before thanks to our state's great system.

Thanks for the welcome! I can use all the help I can get. I have been lucky in the draw but not so lucky during the hunt. Cow elk 2 for 2, deer 0 for 2 and off range oryx 0 for 1. This year I drew a fourth choice unit 20 muzzleloader deer. It looks to be a pretty difficult hunt. We will see.

On range but badged, and successful.

Cool, how many pounds of meat did you get? They changed the badge hunt this year to as neaded. I put in for that hunt and the returnee hunt this year but didn't get drawn. Hopefully next year. May be going with a friend on his on range hunt in January.

Yeah, I felt pretty lucky to just draw it, let alone in the last year they offered it in that way.

I never weighed the amount but it was equivalent to a small to medium cow elk. 110-125 pounds? And yes it is the best meat out there; guests always comment on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back