Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Must have items for 7-10 day hunt

Heading out this weekend for a week or 2 chasing rams.

I feel like I have a good kit, tried and trusted, but there seems to always be some new items each year that eventually make it into the pack.

What do you feel are the top 5 items you can't live without (excluding obvious camp/clothing items).

For some stupid reason, I've started packing a cellphone for a camera instead of a real camera. Its lighter, and takes great pictures... but I have to bring a battery pack... better to bring someone else who has a nice camera.

Walking in on Sunday, I should probably start getting gear rounded up. I know my rifle is good out to 300, so at least I don't need to hit the range.

Anyone used one of the new hydrophobic spray on coatings on their pack or other gear?

Can't decide if I'm packing my MR 6500, or Kifaru Bikini. Weight vs comfort, its a toss up.
    "No Kuiu here"

Got a solo hunter rifle cover last spring and now my rifle never leaves the house without it.

#1 Item for me, and this is not new news, are wet wipes.

I too switched to cell phone, it's doubles as my GPS/ownership map. No.1 for me is a good book. Going to bring Desert Solitaire with me this year. Last year is was Renella's Scavergers Guide. Keep it in a quart ziplock to stay dry.

I used a hydrophobic spray from the parent company of Snoseal to waterproof a cheap small nylon trap that I now use almost exclusively for my shelter. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    Got a solo hunter rifle cover last spring and now my rifle never leaves the house without it.
    One of the best things I have ever bought. Completely agree wllm1313. You can get them online at camofire.com for $25. they are on and off there for that price frequently

My brother always has me grab those plastic luggage bags that Alaska Airlines has to cover your luggage in the rain when I get off the plane. They are heavy duty and your pack will fit perfect in them. They are great for covering your gear for the night and it frees up tent space for your boots and gun in the vestibule area. Lightweight and easy. I'll have to second wet wipes. I did try some of that silicone spray stuff on the packs and it worked for like an hour then the pack was back to soaking in the rain so I'm not sure I'm sold on the stuff at least the product I used. Cell phones really can take amazing pictures anymore so that always is a must. Trekking poles for me is a must. Can't wait to hear your stories hopefully the weather holds out for you. Sounds like there has been a decent run of good weather the last week or so.
    Walmart Athlete and Ambassador
    Costco Prostaff
    Equipment by Harbor Freight

But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career

I'll never go again with out a Sea to summit air pillow or a waterproof stuff sack for my sleeping bag.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=574-48

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=591-12

Sissy lala that I am.
    Colorado's Sexiest Elk Hunter 2009-2018
    Squirrel's and SteveE 's super secret man crush
    SSSMC-2016-2017

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=202-32

Pretty bad arse pack cover.

Sea to Summit Prostaff.
    SSSMC-2016-2017

And hot chocolate
    SSSMC-2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkshooter View Post
    Have this one, about ready for a new one... by far the best one I've tried.

Not sure about the rifle cover. What advantage does it offer?

I don't use a sling, dumped that a couple years ago, i use a piece of 1/8 cord doubled back a few times and tied on with a double clove (i think) knot, think giant friendship bracelet, I heart my sheep rifle. Its usually strapped to the pack vs carrying it over the shoulder.

I think I'm going to get one of these for easier/faster rifle access. Not a fan of the gunbearer.

https://nfpusa.com/oscommerce2/catal...182fd5b5f5b0e1

I've been using trash compactor bags for bag liners, and putting gear in at night. Smaller and lighter than full size contractor bag, but same thickness. I'll have to check on the Alaska Air bags, i think they are in between sizes, and may work even better. Thanks for the tip.
    "No Kuiu here"

Baby wipes... ammonium AD,
    DISCLAIMER: Many of my posts are made via phone, aurocorrect and tiny keyboards are my enemy....
    http://www.predatoroptics.com/
    http://theronoptics.com

12. Default

Crocs (camp shoes/stream crossing)
    Olive oil/Seasoned salt/Heavy duty aluminum foil - could live without but for fresh meat on the fire it's usually worth carrying the extra few ounces to me

Never, ever, ever go without Tumms and also goes hand in hand with MirraLax, sometimes Mountain House can really play games with a guy.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between freeman and slave" British republican tract of 1774

Luci Lantern. I hate wearing my head lamp around camp and in the tent.
    "I'll put some whiskey into my whiskey"

+ 1 for a good dry bag. Also pillow case (stuffed full of clothes), UA skins and strong medical tape.

Cigars and PBR
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

A sharp knife, whetrock, coffee pot, and moonshine

I forgot last year I invested in a pillow and love it. packs super small http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=572-30

I also got this years ago after a miserable 5 day sheep hunt in the rain. I love that I can keep water from running between my rain coat and the pack. Tired of the foam on the straps and waste belt soaking in the water. It can be used without the hood as well. I think they are discontinued but MR makes something similar I think. http://www.goodsports.com/Outdoor-Re...ack-Hoody-7786
    Walmart Athlete and Ambassador
    Costco Prostaff
    Equipment by Harbor Freight

But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career

19. Default

Flask of single malt to toast the animal...or drown your sorrows when not seeing anything.

Extra pair of socks for alternate days.

Dexter Russell boning knife. This is nothing new to Bambistew, he recommended it to me. They are light weight, hold their edge and work great for gutless. Jetboil's are pretty nice also.
    There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

Wipes, baby powder, tobacco products. From there it varies but the travel size baby powder or gold bond is quite fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by daviehansen View Post
    If you’ve already got a pack and are looking for an awesome way to carry your rigfle hands free, but also have it readily available all the time, check out the Creed Outdoors Sling Saddle. I’ve loved having mine. Great thing is it’ll work with your existing sling and pack. It’s a great addition to your hunting gear!

Check it out.

www.creedoutdoors.com

or on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074896S5P..._klb1AbBWMXNTK
    4 late replies on 4 old posts within a few minutes time pushing this product. Feels more like spam than legitimate hunt talk.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

Quote Originally Posted by VikingsGuy View Post
    4 late replies on 4 old posts within a few minutes time pushing this product. Feels more like spam than legitimate hunt talk.
    Seems all of his posts are advertising his company

I will also spin a product:. Zinc Oxide for chaffing. Apparently, they use it for babies. This along with synthetic material underwear and wipes for daily cleanup for chaffing areas are all available at Walmart I'm sure. So maybe they'll give me a door greeter job now that I'm advertising for them.

Next is stuff for rubbing and blisters in the boots. Mole skin is obvious. But also gauze or sports wrap seems to work when I get rubbing around the ankle or lower leg.

A GPS. As otherwise I would still be wandering lost in the woods and not writing this.

Extra socks and underwear (remember synthetic material) for each day or else you'll undo your antichaffing and blister efforts in a hurry.

A tourniquet. If you're bleeding out, it will solve your problem perhaps at expensive of the limb. Just don't use for head bleeds. (Do not place the tourniquet around your neck.)

25. Default

Sock liners
    Baby wipes.
    Preparation H.
    Zinc Oxide.

If your feet or your butt go bad on you. Your trip is finished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast