Hunting on the cheap

Greg9014

I'm a late onset hunter, only just started a couple years ago, and hoping to take my first spike elk this year. I haven't hunted the past couple years because I wasn't able to draw a tag. I just watched some of your old videos about over the counter and being able to hunt every year but looking online at the cost for non-red tags that seems out of reach due to lack of funds.

I wonder if there are recommendations for the most economical way to still hunt every year for those who can't afford $600-$1000 for a non-res tag? And if so might it merit a YouTube video?

Thanks for all the great info you guys share!! My kids love watching your show and other clips on YouTube and are just as excited as I am to hopefully see a freezer full of wild game meat.

I'm a late onset hunter, only just started a couple years ago, and hoping to take my first spike elk this year. I haven't hunted the past couple years because I wasn't able to draw a tag. I just watched some of your old videos about over the counter and being able to hunt every year but looking online at the cost for non-red tags that seems out of reach due to lack of funds.

I wonder if there are recommendations for the most economical way to still hunt every year for those who can't afford $600-$1000 for a non-res tag? And if so might it merit a YouTube video?

Thanks for all the great info you guys share!! My kids love watching your show and other clips on YouTube and are just as excited as I am to hopefully see a freezer full of wild game meat.

Don't hunt out of state, and I would hunt mule deer, that way if you don't get drawn for elk you got a better chance of being able to hunt every year. I'm not from Utah but it looks like there are some deer hunts that have 100 percent draw odds.

If you want to hunt every year and do it cheap you have to be creative. Do some research about b tags (cow tags) in various units in Utah and see if there are any that are 100% draw, the only ones might be archery so get a bow. Consider cow tags in other states as often these are cheaper than bull tags. Another thing to consider is that elk tags are typically the most expensive tags (obviously excluding moose, sheep, goats) in any state, if you want to hunt every year and are strapped for cash broaden your horizons to other species. I hunt doe antelope in wyoming every year for $40 and then bucks every 4 years or so when I draw, you get out in the field find new spots and come home with some tasty meat. Nonresident doe deer tags are $75 in Montana and in some units you can get up to 5.

Archery is 100% OTC in Utah, unless you want to put in for a better unit and pay more. 50 bucks for a Any bull (hunters choice tag) for archery. Hunt every unit in the state for the first 30 days. Cant get much cheaper then that...

Coming from UT, Wyoming antelope doe tags are $35/ea which is probably the best value in a tag out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back