AZ Doves - Trip down memory lane

On my way back to PHX, still laughing at the crazy amount of doves that flew over my head the last two mornings.

It took me thirty years to get back here for a great dove hunt. I suspect I'll be back again before too long.

Marcus getting ready for the morning action.
20160902_054518.jpg

Fun is the goal.
20160902_085535.jpg

A one bird for three shells ratio on doves isn't too bad. Sounds like a fun time.

View attachment 61178

Best taco I've ever eaten was with fresh doves I shot earlier this morning.

What a brilliant idea, i wish we had a shop like that during the pheasant shooting season, sadly that place would have red paint splattered over it in the UK in a short period of time, you are lucky living where you do.

Do you hunt doves like we hunt pigeons?
Decoys and flappers draw in the birds to a 'kill zone', but they are so sharp eyed, a bit of white, i.e a face and they are gone!
20g must be perfect for those.
When i hunt pigeons i use my 12g and No.6 shot.
Great fun and full on action at times.

Cheers

Richard

We will be posting a couple YouTube clips. Some not so supportive of my shooting expertise.

This two-minute video, a scouting day primer, shows what you can expect in Yuma. Never saw that many white wing doves in my entire life. I guess some years they have moved south to Mexico if cooler monsoons have pushed them out. Not the case this season. If I can't get a limit from that huge flight, time to give it up.

[video=youtube_share;IUTKBV6Qv7A]https://youtu.be/IUTKBV6Qv7A[/video]

hey randy,
how many days are you staying keep us informed on how the hunting progresses after the birds start to get wise and ware are you headed for your next hunt.
Good to see your having fun :)I miss those days with my dad. He says hes to old to go out now:(
Thanks Robert

Thanks randy,
I showed my dad your videos and now at 83 he's excited to go. So in little over a month we are off for what might be one last hurrah.
So my question is how did you find fields to hunt, purely using on x maps and calling game and fish. Any other pointers.
If anyone has any local knowledge I'd love to here about it, on here or through private message.

PS
He's worried about heat and maneuverability. So how hot should I expect it to be during shooting times and can I drive to places to be able to drop him off.

Thanks again to all

Thanks randy,
I showed my dad your videos and now at 83 he's excited to go. So in little over a month we are off for what might be one last hurrah.
So my question is how did you find fields to hunt, purely using on x maps and calling game and fish. Any other pointers.
If anyone has any local knowledge I'd love to here about it, on here or through private message.

PS
He's worried about heat and maneuverability. So how hot should I expect it to be during shooting times and can I drive to places to be able to drop him off.

Thanks again to all

Holy thread revival. The last time I hunted Yuma for birds, the majority of farm fields were open to hunting. Only rules were, pick up your hulls, and no dogs allowed to run into the crops. I believe azgfd provided maps at the time since we were also pheasant hunting ( sounds crazy I know, but Yuma has a very healthy wild pheasant population thanks to all the agriculture). This was 3 years ago. There's also some overgrown dry canal and creek beds that held a ton of eurasian at the time. I think we walked away with 83 birds in one day between the 3 of us. This was well after opening day. We just drove down there, looked for birds, got out and hunted. Private land in Az has to be posted, so no keep out sign pretty much means you can hunt.
As far as heat, maybe take a chance and go during the second season, or later. Yuma is one of the hottest places on earth, and trees are scarce unless you find a good spot where they're flying over the citrus orchards. Take 2 gallons of water per person and keep drinking.

Last edited:
Thanks
I know it's an old thread but hey it worked to get dad out and going again. I hadn't heard about pheasants thats excellent news to here. I appreciate the tips. I gathering my nervousness is probably not necessary and it's not to hard to find property to hunt as long as you put in some time. I never been to yuma before and it's not like I'm going to be doing a lot of scouting from florida.
Any further information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks again

This brings back some memories!!!! Was stationed at MCAS Yuma back in 94-97. Shot a ton of doves there; as well as ducks and geese, need to dig threw my old pics of me, my son, n some other devil dogs I used to hunt w there.

This brings back some memories!!!! Was stationed at MCAS Yuma back in 94-97. Shot a ton of doves there; as well as ducks and geese, need to dig threw my old pics of me, my son, n some other devil dogs I used to hunt w there.

My condolences

None needed. I loved Yuma, along w the bird hunting there was great fishing in the Colorado, Martinez Lake, n all the canals. Largemouth, smallmouth, n striped bass. channel, blue, n flathead cats, n plenty of bream. Awesome desert muley hunting in the Kofa Mtns and usually got to see some desert bighorns while I was there. Had a Gunney from Nogales that I would go Coues hunting w also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back