No kill shot!!!!

Bukwild3

Was listening to Randy and Mathew talk about not having kill shots for tv in the new pod cast. I just wanted to comment. To me, showing the "unsuccessful" hunts are very important. Today's generation has been force fed impossible success odds of hunting through tv. Being able to sit down and watch as close to real life hunting can be with kids and explain the situations is great. As for adults, these shows teach just as much about hunting as the ones with kills. Keep up the good work! Really looking forward to the field pod casts too!

Glad you guys are on board. OYOA was one of the first shows to air episodes without kill shots, and I don't think our success rate has improved much since then.

Dipping into digital (which is a very different viewer base than TV) has caused us to rethink a number of aspects to the show, some of which were "sacred cows" that TV (aka the networks) wouldn't allow us to change. Everything should be reasonably similar to the past for this year, but I think we'll experiment more and more as our YouTube traffic picks up. We've had our best month ever, with well over 300k views, and we had a podcast break the 20k download barrier, with one or two more well on their way.

I have not missed many shots. I have had many hunts without a shot. No one does it all the time (maybe Greenhorn). Still fun. Get in the woods or hills and have fun.

I like all the extras talked about in the podcast. I can't wait for Randy's Grousmania to air.

I sure am glad other people agree. My family has taught me to learn something everyday. Whether it was good or bad you could always learn from the hands that were delt!

I agree, things are good the way they are. I love seeing the success but I really appreciate the reality that is hunting.

I have not missed many shots. I have had many hunts without a shot. No one does it all the time (maybe Greenhorn). Still fun. Get in the woods or hills and have fun.
This says it all. I have not filled tags and been right on top of them. Just no ethical clean kill shot. Every one of these hunts was a great hunt IMB!

Yep... I've grown tired of watching shows that are 24 minutes of ads and product pushing followed by 90 seconds of shot and slow-mo impact.
Keep it real Randy

I think the format is great. I watch them on YouTube with my two year old son. I don't have cable at my house. I only let him watch cartoons on DVD and Randy's show. The show actually gets into the meat and potatoes of what it means to hunt. There's enough landscape and wildlife shots to keep my little boy interested. He picks out deer, elk, antelop. Of course, he calls them all deer, but he stays focused on what's happening. He'll watch with me for a while, run off to play and then come back and watch more. Ever once in a while he'll say "Randy".

I don't want him near the majority of the other "hunting" shows out there.

Last edited:
Even back in the olden days when all we had to read were the Big Three slick outdoor magazines (and we all read them around the fireplace in one-room log cabins) 90 percent of the articles ended up with at least one dead carcass, and probably several. It's much more challenging to tell a good story about the one that got away than the one that is in the pickup. Most outdoor writers/producers are not up for that challenge. I'm grateful for the ones that are. Like Randy. Keep it real.

The no-kill shows makes me feel like I am there with you guys or you're truly just hunters like us! You don't shoot some giant animal on every show, which just leads to inflated expectations in peoples minds. Keep on keepin on!

In my humble opinion, there is a hell of a lot more to hunting than just killing an animal, filling a tag is a great feeling, but shouldn't be the measure of hunting success.

In my humble opinion, there is a hell of a lot more to hunting than just killing an animal, filling a tag is a great feeling, but shouldn't be the measure of hunting success.

I agree with this 100%. To me its the time spent with family(my dad) and friends that make it great. No matter if you kill or don't kill an animal you always bring home stories to share. To Randy and the rest of the crew keep doing what you are doing, its REAL hunting.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back