PEAX Equipment

Elk Unit 51 New Mexico

After guiding in unit 51 for over 15 years I will agree and disagree with what has been said so far. If you get off the road you WILL get into the elk. There are a large number of monster bulls we see and kill every year. Living 10 minutes from 51 I have an advantage over you guys from out of state who only get to scout a week or so a year before your hunt so please don't take the tone of my post as condescending. The first rifle hunt is normally a proverbial symphony of elk bugling. I will not give you my honey holes, but places I would start are....

Cañada de la Sierra- in the oaks
Jose Maria Canyon- road was well blocked a few years back and always has elk.
Hatchita Canyon and the SE ridge off it.
Salvador Canyon- long drive in to good hunting(on foot) gets you away from roads
Lopez Canyon- Canjillon side of Mogote ridge
Martinez Canyon parallels Lopez

Good camping in El Rito Canyon along the creek. Bring a fly rod!!

Good luck, pm if you have ?'s

Last edited:
TLowell02 keep us posted on how things are going. When I was there last weekend I spoke with a few bow hunters and they said there were getting into elk but that they were not being vocal at all. Good luck and hope you get a chance at a bull.

Well I heard my first bugle on Friday at 11 am, called him in perfectly to 20 yards but didn't take into account the dead branch in the way. Heard three others bugling over the next day or so. Ended up, however, taking this cow Saturday afternoon while she was taking a sapling to task. Pretty stoked as it was my first elk hunt. Ended up hiking over 50 miles over the course of 7 days. Probably should have just sat down and watched/waited more but sitting still drives me crazy.

Good luck to those trying to fill the tag in the last two days! I had a blast minus all the atvs/grouse hunters/random rifle shots that came with Labor Day weekend.
IMG_20160912_151848.jpg

Thanks so much for the information. I'll be sending you a PM. Again, really appreciate the input and direction.

After guiding in unit 51 for over 15 years I will agree and disagree with what has been said so far. If you get off the road you WILL get into the elk. There are a large number of monster bulls we see and kill every year. Living 10 minutes from 51 I have an advantage over you guys from out of state who only get to scout a week or so a year before your hunt so please don't take the tone of my post as condescending. The first rifle hunt is normally a proverbial symphony of elk bugling. I will not give you my honey holes, but places I would start are....

Salvador Canyon- long drive in to good hunting(on foot) gets you away from roads

Well I heard my first bugle on Friday at 11 am, called him in perfectly to 20 yards but didn't take into account the dead branch in the way. Heard three others bugling over the next day or so. Ended up, however, taking this cow Saturday afternoon while she was taking a sapling to task. Pretty stoked as it was my first elk hunt. Ended up hiking over 50 miles over the course of 7 days. Probably should have just sat down and watched/waited more but sitting still drives me crazy.

Good luck to those trying to fill the tag in the last two days! I had a blast minus all the atvs/grouse hunters/random rifle shots that came with Labor Day weekend.

Way to go nice cow ... And how exciting for your first elk hunt!! Going to taste great all year.

Last edited:
Love the video and major congrats on the cow. Love it. Thanks again for the updates.

Forgot to update.... 3 for 3 in the unit now. I shot a fat cow and I am super excited.
I love a full freezer full of elk. You will have a great hunt.

I bear hunted a few extra days and had the pleasure of recording this guy come in and play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDwbioTAd8

I really do hate when people list off places to hunt for everyone to see. Luckily none of my honey holes were listed.

Never hunted Salvador. Looks good on a map. Heard get things. Get up there to check it out and way too many camps for me.

I've hunted both sides of 84. 51 is a migratory unit in the winter. Do not discount 51b for your late season hunt. It's quite a bit lower in elevation. Found a lot of sheds there and have yet to find one on 51a in 5 years. Ran into a rancher one year who actually went missing ( seriously a missing persons/endangered persons report was filed) a year after we met him. Anyway, he showed us around on 51b and said fish and game had to come out in helicopters to try and disperse the herd because hunters were picking them off so easily.

Im new to hunting 51 and drew for the december muzzleloader hunt the 3-7. Ive scouted mogote and have seen quite a few elk in canjilon area and up by trout lakes. Do you have any advice for te late season up there? Thank you

Curious how your late season hunt went? A buddy and I are looking to draw for the 2018 Dec muzzleloader hunt in unit 51 this year.

There are literally five specific spots on the post you quoted. I would try those.

Yeah iv been on my maps looking at those and others as well I was more interested in hunting pressure points stuff like that.

Back