Truck Checklist for trails and off-roading

How does one use a Hi-Lift on something like this, without tearing the crap out of it?

View attachment 60967

I have roughly the same bumpers. I put the high lift onto the tow hook on the front = it's a little iffy but you can make it work. On the back the only thing there is to use is the trailer hitch. Doesn't matter which side is sunk, just jack the whole back end up.
Also use the floor jack if needed along with the hi lift.
Thge truck is older so I have been packing an extra alternator.
I haver found that the standard tire iron don't always work really well. Bot a deep, impact socket kit with a variety of millimeter sockets to get the best fit on the lug nut. A solid half inch drive ratchet or drive and slide a 3 ft section of pipe over it for enuf leverage to persuade those damn lugs that seemed to easy in the driveway but won't give out in the back country. If you're up for maintenance I have learned to break all of the lugs loose before I leave and put anti seize on the threads. Murphy always picks the worst place to show up.
good luck

Last edited:
Hi Lift is a great tool, but they can be pretty dangerous, just be mindful when using. [video=youtube;mDVau7w-WIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDVau7w-WIk[/video]

As mentioned, make sure you have adequate tow points. I carry chains for all 4 in my truck all year long. Extra tensioners are a cheap and useful investment. Fitting your chains to your tires and cutting the extra links off will eliminate extra links flopping around damaging your truck.

Water
Tobacco Products
Sunflower seeds for a break
Snacks

If you don't go driving where you should be walking you don't need to haul so much stuff around.

All my ideas have pretty much been hit.

Hi Lift jack, base, winch kit, wood blocks, bumper and wheel lifting kit for the jack.
1/2" breakover bar with sockets to fit common lug nuts and the serpentine belt tensioner, cheater pipe, WD 40
spare serpentine belt
extra fluids (antifreeze, ATF, oil)
fuses
tire plug kit, 12V air compressor
jumper pack big enough to start dead truck
chains for tires and logchain, tow rope
basic tool kit including wrenches to fit battery terminals, battery brush
shovel, axe, saw

Lots of the new vehicles there is only so much you can fix yourself but having the basics is worth it.

I also carry a Smittybilt anchor for using the Hi Lift as a winch. I just picked it up recently and have never used it, hope that continues. I got it for the truck but mainly carry it in the UTV just in case.

I agree about not getting yourself in trouble in the first place and just walking. Also keep an eye on the weather and get the vehicle out if something bad is headed in and its in a bad spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back