Yeti GOBOX Collection

Truck Checklist for trails and off-roading

Ohboytimmy

I am going solo 3weeks into some high country Colorado wildernesss. I'm planning for the worst and am coming up with a checklist of gear to have in my truck when shhh goes south. Wondering what you guys keep in your rig or if you have any tips on how to get your truck out of a rut without a 999999lbs rated winch. Are tire chains necessary Colorado during Sept? I have a 4x4 Nissan titan with a LSD rear end, new bf goodrich rugged terrain if that matters.

List so far(things I already own):
• Floor Jack
• Deep Cycle Battery + Power Inverter
• Battery Charger
• Spare Tires
• Tow Straps
• Tie Down
• Tool Kit
• Shovel
• Tarp
• ATF
• Diff Fluid
• Tire inflator
• Flashlight

Second the hi-lift, and I would include a chainsaw or some type of saw. I have gotten out of some tricky spots by jacking tires up and placing limbs/poles under the tires for traction and height.

When in doubt, park the truck and hike. It's not worth damaging your truck. In most places maintained gravel roads can get you close enough.

Great advice above....chains.....chainsaw......hi lift......and HEAVY DUTY come along with a good long tow strap if no winch. Also, if it looks even a bit dicey GET OUT of the truck and take everything in. Only if you can see yourself being fully able to extricate yourself in the worst case scenario do you even give it a shot. If you are solo err on the side of caution.

Would take a high lift over anything, you can use it as a come along too ya know.

Couple small scrap pieces of short 2x6 or 2x8 as feet/shims for high lift/tirejack. Also might sound funny but know where you gonna hook up to truck and make sure you can access it. Seen couple guys with fancy rigs who's brush guard thingy blocked hook points! Just remember your there to hunt not off road so when in doubt walk because it always seems harder to get out than in...

C

Snatch block is a small Item that will make running that high lift/comealong a whole lot less work if you aren't to bad of a situation. I use one a lot with my winch to double the pull or to pull others from a weird angle.

A couple come-alongs is a must as are good two straps. Chains and a short handle square nose shovel about 12-14 inches wide at the snout. A lot of grief can be cured with simple shoveling!

When in doubt,don't. It can get way worse fast. And wait til it dries out some if you can.
Chains,come-along,highlift,straps,chain& tree rope,snatch block,form stake for when there is nothing,hatchet,wood blocks,folding saw,short shovel.
All are in my truck year round,but I have only had to use a regular jack to change tires and the comealong in last 6 years on my own truck,but saved others bacon who did not belong being where they were and I wanted them gone ...home.

Mushroom style tire plug kit .. Works great for punctures from rocks.. Also a way to air back up!

How does one use a Hi-Lift on something like this, without tearing the crap out of it?

2016-gmc-sierra-2500-mov-packages-substory-230x140-01.jpg

I usually take a Hi-lift and a floor jack. I would much rather use the floor jack for most situations. They are much safer and don't tear your truck up. Granted there are certain situation that a floor jack won't do the job and a Hi-lift is necessary. I really try to avoid those. lol

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back