Caribou Gear

New to Idaho, this forum, and Elk hunting!

jeffr1269

I'm Jeff Robbins, and I recently moved my family from San Diego, Ca to Boise, ID area. I've been an avid waterfowl and upland game hunter...with a sprinkle of wild boar, and deer hunting way back in my teens... My son is now 11 and is obsessed with hunting everything that moves. So i'm going back through my childhood with my son, except he's started way younger than I, and we have more resources. :)... so damn' cool.

He has a cow/spike elk tag for ID Zone 50, starting 10/15. The plan is to arrive on 10/13 to figure out the plan, and then hunt 10/15-10/16, and longer if I feel like we're close. We spent the weekend up there recently to get the lay of the land. Saw live Elk within 20 yards for first time ever. WOW! I am intimidated by things like the weather, other hunters, etc. But I know i'll figure much of it out when i'm there.

If I could ask one question from this group, with amazing experience... What approach would you take for this hunt, to make sure the kid has a great experience, AND a chance to take a shot at an elk? He's done the early morning duck thing with me since he was 5... but I think the waking up early, hiking, and sitting is going to wear him out quick. What strategies have you used with your young kid?

Thanks in advance for your input. I hope to contribute to the group as I figure things out..

Jeff

My advice is to temper your expectations of what YOU think will be success. If your kid ends up happy spending the day tossing rocks in a creek instead of hunting hard for an elk, that is ok. Call it a win.

As for advice for actually being on the ground with your kid, carry EVERYTHING for him in your pack. Kids don't have the strength or endurance to carry much for a hard day, and, you really need him to be able to focus on the mental game of being able to go hard enough to get a cow. Even figure on carrying his rifle for 50% of the time. Your goal should be to keep him fresh enough that he can last thru the day long enough to be in the right spot at the right time.

When hiking, hike for 20 minutes, then stop, take a drink, eat some snacks, let him catch his breath. Then go another 20 minutes. Don't try and run him thru the dark for 3 miles to beat someone else up the mountain.

If you have a nice, sunny day, take a nap in mid-day, let him make up for the early morning departure.

Most of all, remember, you are not hunting, you are just caddying.

Welcome to Idaho. I made the move to the Boise area from Cali 13 years ago now and don't regret it one bit. Everything JC said is spot on!

Man I hate to agree with Jose, but he's right. I always let my son carry something in a day pack, that way he is part of the excursion. Also, a small piece of meat on the way out, not much, but enough he feels the weight. Go slow, and let him dictate the pace. Btw, I'll be there in 50 come december looking for a cow with my son, if you tie one up for me, I'd appreciate it. After duck season opens up, let's go find some.

Jeff I wish you and your son the best of luck. I agree with JC and choc. You know your son better then us go at his pace and let him partake in the hunt. Biggest thing as you know already just make sure he is having fun. He will remember his first elk hunt with dad forever and so will you. Wish you and him the best of luck and let us know how it goes!

jeff, welcome!
I too agree with comments made by Jose even though sometimes his dry sense of humor bites him in the arse.

JC, Thanks so much for the advice. I see that my main goal is to take the pressure off the boy...100%. I will make sure this trip is special for both of us.

Choc, I will bring my new lasso.. :) And yes, let's chase some ducks. I'm taking the boat this weekend to Fort Boise to check the river out. Still trying to figure out where to go.. but I plan to kill some mallards this fall.

FowlAddict, I wish I could/would have moved 20 years ago. This is the place for me and my family. So Cal was never my thing.

Reports to follow!

Jeff

Jeff, glad to hear that you are in love with our state, but please get involved with any Idaho issues regarding public lands. At times I feel like I am beating a dead horse as do some of us long/old timers who grew up in Idaho. Sad to hear that our LG who will run for gov in 2017, may or may not, be of our ilk. I for one am going to keep on him.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back