Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is hunting big game accompanied by a dog legal?

AvidIndoorsman

I've been wondering about this the past couple of seasons and it seems like a bit of a gray area. Western states don't allow the use of dogs to hunt big game (other than predators) but are you allowed to have a dog who will not be participating the in pursuit of game in the field with you?

Specific examples:
1. Mixed bag hunt where you are hunting birds and whitetails in a riparian area?
2. You plan on using a dog to trail an animal after the shot so you bring him with?
3. Bringing a non hunting dog along for the adventure. I have a corgi who clearly is not going to chase down or tract a deer can he come for a walk with me and my rifle.

Curious about everyone's experiences as I bet some off these situations depend on the particular warden you see out in the field.

IMO, a dog tagging along is not "using" a dog to hunt game. I would think it would be quite difficult to prove intent if the dog was not actually hunting game.

I take one of my dogs along at times.

Your scenario #1 could get you into trouble. If your dog is flushing deer from cover and you are shooting at them, that would probably get you a ticket from most wardens regardless of whether you claim the dog was "bird hunting" or not. I'd be careful with that one.

The others probably depend on the state and the warden. I've seen some people on here post about taking their dog along for the walk while rifle hunting, and I can't say I've heard of anyone getting any grief over it. We take our dog pretty much everywhere, but during big game hunts she usually stays in the truck. If we get something down, she gets to come with when we go back with packs or game carts to retrieve our animal.

I have a friend who brings his dog along when he bow hunts in MT. He uses it to help track the downed animal. The game warden he runs into doesn't care, but maybe other ones do. The rifle season might be different since you could use it to flush the deer like HW says.

Last edited:
Great question. I take my dog with me in the spring when I'm bear hunting, but she is well trained and walks behind me all the time. She never barks or chases anything at all. I've run into the local game warden once and he didn't seem to have a problem with her being along at all. I'd be interested to know what the legalities may be during the fall though, specifically during rifle season.

Having the dog leashed would be in your favor. Here in MT any dog used for blood trailing MUST be on a leash less than 50 feet long. The reg booklets don't go into detail but the statute does.

CA allows deer hunting with a dog, but only one dog. I knew a guy in NorCal that would hunt high in the Sierras just above treeline and his dog would kick up bedded bucks. He got some nice bucks that I mounted for him. One was a huge 7x7 with 22 browtines as long as my fingers, 11 on each side and they circumvented the base like spokes coming out of a hub.

Reactions: Guy
Nevada and Wyo wont let ya. I use my terriers for it here in CA. its one dog per hunter for deer here

I have a friend who brings his dog along when he bow hunts in MT. He uses it to help track the downed animal. The game warden he runs into doesn't care, but maybe other ones do. The rifle season might be different since you could use it to flush the deer like HW says.

It's legal in Montana to use dogs to trail wounded game. You have to be with the person who wounded the animal, and you have to have complete control over the animal at all times.

Hunting while accompanied by a dog. Yes, I do it. I agree, I am risking some gray area and the wrong warden on a bad day might take issue. My dog stays on his leash until we're taking care of the animal. He's certainly no help. :D He's also gotten pretty good at understanding when we need to be still. The last photo was just a couple weeks ago. It was getting late but you can see he's sitting with me watching a turkey at 25 yards.

Here in CO you can't even legally blood trail with a dog, unfortunately. I understand why - you might jump something, but if the goal is to give your best effort in recovering the animal, that rule seems counterintuitive to me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

20170407_193748.jpg

I used my hounds to track a dead turkey the other day, but I found it before they did. I've used dogs to track wounded game successfully numerous times. It really helps if you can find feathers, hair, or blood to start the track.

Vanish, those are some great photos of your hunting partner and animals harvested. Looks like a very smart dog.

You can hunt deer and bear with dogs in NC, but can't hunt on Sunday. In MI you can use dogs to hunt bear and to track wounded game, and most hunters will shoot a dog that's chasing deer. Quite different ways of thinking between the two states

Dogs can not be used to hunt, run or harass big game in Wyoming. If a warden sees your dog chasing or harassing wildlife you would have a problem, but otherwise if you have it leased while out or under voice command that they obey you would probably be ok.

I'll ask a warden we know and get his take. He's a by the book guy but does give leniency when warranted.

My goal one day is to have Hank "behave" well enough that I do take him along. Thought about giving it a try this fall in MT...

Not in Idaho. Page 95 in the regs-

Unlawful to-

•  Hunt big game with dogs except for black bears and
mountain lions. The use of one blood-trailing dog
controlled by leash during lawful hunting hours and within
72 hours of hitting a big game animal is allowed to trackwounded animals and aid in recovery. A hound hunter
permit is not required

I had my dogs out with me while hunting one day. On my return out of the trailhead area a game warden and I had a conversation about my dogs. One is a bloodhound and the other is a mutt mix Australian Shepherd type who knows what. The game warden basically shared a person would need to be observed using the dogs in a hunting manner for any fine to be worth it's judicial salt. I just happened to be using it as an excuse to get out with the dogs and figured I would take my rifle just in case as It seems I run across a nice animal when I don't have my rifle... whether I'm just taking care of business 20 feet from my rifle... as we all know that's pretty much a no no. Haha! :)

Unlawful to-

72 hours of hitting a big game animal is allowed to trackwounded animals and aid in recovery. A hound hunter
permit is not required

Have hunted birds many times with my dog carrying a shotgun and had a rifle strapped to pack in case we see something else. Have called in elk with him sitting next to me. Will continue to do so as my dog is hunting birds. He doesn't like deer, elk, moo cows and is kinda scared of them its funny.

Unlawful to-

permit is not required
Though I'm far from a "legal mind" but I think hunting accompanied by dogs and hunting with dogs are distinctively different.

Back