Caribou Gear

Block management hunting Montana

image.jpg

There's some good type2 BMAs out there.
This is me and a buddy with his bull a few years back.
It was a very high quality hunt.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread as I am looking into hunting Montana in a couple of years.

I was curious if any of these laws have changed or if there are any updates?

I cannon believe that they are incorporating the state land into the Block management properties......This really changes my plans.

I could soooo see how a landowner would do a type 2 to limit the number of hunters on the state land near him.

Does anyone have any solid advice for a NR in his initial research? Please PM me if you do not want to post publicly.

Thanks

Resurrecting this thread as I am looking into hunting Montana in a couple of years.

I cannon believe that they are incorporating the state land into the Block management properties......This really changes my plans.

I could soooo see how a landowner would do a type 2 to limit the number of hunters on the state land near him.

Does anyone have any solid advice for a NR in his initial research? Please PM me if you do not want to post publicly.

Thanks

Yes don't be intimidated by type 2, in my experience the land owners just wanted to talk to the people hunting on their property so the could make sure you knew the rules. Every time I have called and asked for permission I was given it. All three of the landowners I talked to were just worried about their roads getting torn-up by people driving on them when they were wet and of grass fires being started by people parking their cars in tall grass.

This website has all the BMAs and is free...http://map.mtbullypulpit.org/

Last edited:

Thanks

The only changes to the law are an increase in the payment to landowners which was much needed.

As was discussed earlier in the thread, the state land issue still remains, and I'm more or less inclined to think it's a good thing in most instances. It helps spread pressure out from State sections and it opens up more private than would have access without adding state to the BMA.

Other advice is don't expect a gimme. I've hunted BMA's that are every bit as tough a hunt as any public land unit and have had some crowding as well. Like anything, get away from the roads and go deep into the heart of the BMA and you'll have a better experience.

The FWP Hunt Planner is a good tool as well, and gives you Block Mgt layers as well as other access options. http://fwp.mt.gov/gis/maps/huntPlanner/?species=deer

As was discussed earlier in the thread, the state land issue still remains, and I'm more or less inclined to think it's a good thing in most instances. It helps spread pressure out from State sections and it opens up more private than would have access without adding state to the BMA.

I've got a real hard time stomaching it when it opens up situations like Carbon's above.

I can't handle stories like that where a person has such a great experience tarnished for no fault of their own. It takes the fun out of hunting.

In the least there should be a sign on every single fence post of that state land stating it's not accessible without BMA access.

I've got a real hard time stomaching it when it opens up situations like Carbon's above.

I can't handle stories like that where a person has such a great experience tarnished for no fault of their own. It takes the fun out of hunting.

In the least there should be a sign on every single fence post of that state land stating it's not accessible without BMA access.

I don't disagree and it sounds like the landowner could have handled the situation much better. At the end of the day, it is still the responsibility of the sportsmen to know the rules and follow them.

Its a good program besides the above mentioned state land issue. I have had many good hunts and experiences on bma lands.

I've had great success on BMA, great program that opens up millions of acres to all hunters. Can't wait to get back out there this fall!

Like everything , it has its flaws , but overall it's awesome . Seriously it's unbelievable. I can't thank those landowners and Fwp enough in this case . Block management gives ALOT of people a place to hunt . What's more awesome than that ?!

I suppose there are some flaws, but when comparing pros and cons the pros far outweigh the cons. The number of acres opened to hunting easily overcomes the state owned acres that may now have access limited. There are thousands of acres of landlocked state or federally owned land that would otherwise not be legally accessible. The loss of the BMA program would drastically change publicly accessible hunting in Montana.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back