Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Leopard and Walker hounds

Pagosa

1190.jpg

These are my two hounds. The Walker I found in SW Oregon two years ago and Leopard hound I purchased in NW Montana. They have treed multiple coons, feral cats, had a couple run ins with porcupines and skunks. And had a bad deer race last winter. Overall I'm hopeful they will put some bobcats and lions in a tree this winter. Anyone else on hunt talk hunt with hounds? Post your pictures if so.

Hunt hard and walk out those tracks of need be and you'll get some cats! My next prospect, her two sisters are for sale one black and tan one blue

Attachments

• 0815162125-2.jpg
    0815162125-2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
My 10 month old walker will be having some fun this winter. He is a stud on coon and a sweetheart around home.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Love me some good hound dogs!!! I have a bird dog personally but have hunted behind various hounds for hogs and coons and love it!

Hunt hard and walk out those tracks of need be and you'll get some cats! My next prospect, her two sisters are for sale one black and tan one blue

Mike that's a good looking pup. I plan to cover more ground this winter by snowmobile and/or truck to find fresh tracks. I've limited myself by attempting to walk to find tracks last winter, and I think covering the miles before daylight will up the odds of treeing a bobcat/lion.
I like the b&t and blueticks you have raised up. Should make some great hounds.

I dont coon hunt anymore but when I did I had a walker. Got him for 50 bucks and he was the best dam coon hound I ever hunted with. Only problem we had was he had a habit of catching coon on the ground and he would tear them apart. One night he literally ripped one completely in half.

Rockdog, good-looking walker. Everyone needs one walker coonhound in their lifetime. Good luck this winter, do you chase coons down in the bitterroot much?

I would love to coon hunt more but the bottoms are too developed with houses in the root. I trap and release a few. Would love to drive south or east for coon hunting but haven't done it yet

The dog on the left in this pic is the dad to my pup. We owned him and last year he was a 1.5 year old and was treeing cats great until a wolf killed him. The wolf came in and killed him under a treed lion.

The dog on the left in this pic is the dad to my pup. We owned him and last year he was a 1.5 year old and was treeing cats great until a wolf killed him. The wolf came in and killed him under a treed lion.

That would be a tough loss of such a good young hound. It's makes a person get really pissed that wolves were reintroduced. I've read that having hounds wear bells will keep wolves away, and I use bells for locating them when they hunting, but not barking. I will probably not turn my dogs loose on anything but a fresh track, just to minimize wolf encounters. I hope this new walker does just as good as his dad did for you.

Up by Kalispell, I'm more of a coon hunter from Oklahoma. Still learning about bobcats of the west and mtn lions. It has taken me several years of training just to be able to tree game with my Walker. The lep was treeing squirrels and feral cats really young. Good luck this winter, and really nice Tom in the photo.

Well your in a good area for cats. Got many coons up there?

We have a few coons. My dogs trees a three coons on my neighbors place in one tree about a month ago and he is getting them stuffed. I live pretty close to the Flathead River and it's the same issue you have hunting in a populated area. If you get time hunting along the Missouri, Musselshell, or Yellowstone rivers would be fun.

I have dogs and love them. I love the hunting dog threads, Gentleman and ladies, you more patient than I to train these dogs. Much, much admiration. I am sure it is rewarding!

Mike, how did your pup do on her opening night hunt? Great looking young hound.

"Treed" this masked bandit on powerpole tonight.
She did fine. She never came off the leash intentionally lol. Only 10 weeks. She has no fear.

Attachments

• 0826162148f.jpg
    0826162148f.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 0826162146b.jpg
    0826162146b.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 382

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear