Beginner Camera Recommendations

BKHunter

I would like to start taking some pictures while out in the field and also take better pictures of the animals I harvest. Also start messing around a little with some amateur photography. Can anyone recommend a camera that wont break the bank but takes good pictures and is a good starter camera?

You may want to give an approximation of what you would like to spend. The Nikon D 3300 has a reasonably small camera body so it would fit into a pack with out taking up to much space. It has the ability to be used with many high quality lenses if you decide to grow in photography. Here is a starter package with a lens that should work for most of the basic harvest photos.

ttps://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023353-REG/nikon_1532_d3300_dslr_camera_with.html

I have a Canon G12 that is probably for sale following one season of use. It takes great images, has an extra batter, a big flash, a 1.4X teleconverter, and a charger. I can assure you that when I decide to sell something the price is right. Many of the images you saw here from the 2013-2014 seasons were taken with that camera.

I have a Canon T3 and it gets the job done. A full size DSLR so not going to be shaving any ounces with it but I like the quality of the pics and it was relatively affordable off craigslist.

The video quality is why I went with a DSLR. My wife and I share the camera and we were able to write it off as she uses it with her business. Most of the pics I have posted on this site have been from my IPhone. I'm going to make a conscious effort to take better pictures this year.

The G12 would be a great camera to learn with and a great backup later. It isn't an SLR, but it has a lot of manual control abilities to help you learn photography. Then, when you step into an SLR it won't be quite the learning curve. I happen to have a Nikon similar to that canon G12 that I travel with to save weight. It's not as good as my SLR's, yet it still gives me great control over what the camera chooses to do.

Back